Surrendering house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surrendering house

We surrendered our house in WA during our BK ch 13 proceeding, plan is confirmed and we are making the monthly trustee payments. Question is are we still liable for utilities? The lien holder has hired a new agent to handle the sale so in my opinion we should not be. Any feedback would be welcomed.
    Last edited by wasolongago; 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM. Reason: clarification on bk filing

Originally posted by wasolongago View Post
    We surrendered our house in WA during our BK proceeding, plan is confirmed and we are making the monthly trustee payments. Question is are we still liable for utilities? The lien holder has hired a new agent to handle the sale so in my opinion we should not be. Any feedback would be welcomed.
    You are responsible for any and all debt and are liable for any injuries sustained on that property, until the new deed is recorded.

I would call the lender and tell them you're canceling the utilities.

Again, you are responsible for any post-petition (post filing) utility bills while the home is in your name! You are also legally responsible (liable) for any accidents on your property as well.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I would call the lender right away and tell them you are turning everything off... We did that and they said fine and 1 week later it was turned back on when we drove by!

What happend to us was we left them on well the lender decided to have a cleaning crew go in and do some work well they left every light on plus the outside water running for 4 days! I get a bill for 250$ and wasnt even living there you can imagne how pissed I was to have that ontop of my new house we were living in's payment!

Call them right away to be safe!
      Converted to Chp 7 in July 341 AUG 3rd Went well!!!
      Trustee Paid Off Looking At Discharge!!! Might Be A Good After all!
      Discharge Date 10/02/09 Counting the days down

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X