Converting Case From 7 to 13....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Case From 7 to 13....

If a debtor converts their case from a 7 to a 13 (by choice or force), does the current monthly income at the time of filing the 7 stand or must it be recalculated at the time of converting to a 13? Just curious, as in my case this could make a difference between a 3 and 5 year plan. Thanks.
    Chapter 13 Filed (Pro Se) - 9/30/09
    Confirmation Date - 12/1/09
    Stats - $1752/month, 29/36 completed, 4% to Unsecured, Lien Stripped 2nd Mortgage

It's all based on the day of filing. So, if you're converting, technically, it's what you had on your schedules on the day you filed.

Okay, now that I wrote that, things may change. You may need to update your form, as now you'll have to file a B22C with a Chapter 13 (instead of a B22A). Then there are some other things, like whether you are above or below median income.

Because of the income issue, you may have to dismiss a Chapter 7, rather than convert, before filing a new Chapter 13. If your income is taken into account as of the filing of the Chapter 7, it may not "technically" be enough to fund a Chapter 13. The key will be in what you looked like (financially) on the day you filed your Chapter 7 (and the 6 months preceding that filing date).

I think the biggest problem will be proving, that you can afford to be in a Chapter 13 (if you weren't pushed there by the Trustee).
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Right now I am more concerned with being forced into a 13 than anything else. If I had to be file the B22C would I use the 6 month income from the time of filing or from conversion?
      Chapter 13 Filed (Pro Se) - 9/30/09
      Confirmation Date - 12/1/09
      Stats - $1752/month, 29/36 completed, 4% to Unsecured, Lien Stripped 2nd Mortgage

Comment

We were told it was on the day of filing.

Good luck.
        Filed - 12/24/08 (Merry Christmas Credit Cards!)
        341 - 2/5/09
        Confirmation - 3/13/09....Happy Dance!!!

Comment

Conversion 7 to 13

I am pretty sure the Trustee will want to move me to a Chapter 13. After the 341 they made more document requests and although no creditors have objected I think the Trustee objects. If that happens would it still be the same trustee, anyone know? (Florida) I am over median income and they are objecting to my exceptions. If they force you into a Chapter 13, how does it happen? If I decide not to keep my house if I have to file 13, so I have to start all over again with income documentation, etc.? Just want this to be over with!
          Filed Chap. 7 1/11/09
          341 2/14/09; later declared asset case
          Discharged 5/18/09
          Asset case - still no payment plan proposed

Comment

how much over the median are you?
            "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

Comment

Conversion 7 to 13

I am a lot over median, I think median for a family of 2 is $51,000, I think my 6 months' income would have ended up as around $62,000. I was working an extra shift that got cut.
              Filed Chap. 7 1/11/09
              Discharged 5/18/09

Comment

Yikes. I don't know about Florida, but in Utah there are Chapter 7 panel trustees and then Chapter 13 trustees. Two separate kinds of people. I would imagine that it would be like this everywhere.

Good luck. I hope it works out in your favor.
                Filed - 12/24/08 (Merry Christmas Credit Cards!)
                341 - 2/5/09
                Confirmation - 3/13/09....Happy Dance!!!

Comment

Does anyone know if in Florida you keep the same Trustee when you convert from a 7 to a 13? My Trustee knows people I work for and they in turn go out to dinner together and it makes me uncomfortable. I don't want my boss to know, I know that there would be strong disapproval.
                  Also does anyone have other information on how it works if they do not accept a Chapter 7 (in Florida)? My attorney is not responsive, he already got paid after all.
                  Filed Chap. 7 1/11/09
                  Discharged 5/18/09

Comment

I am not sure, but it looks like the Ch 7 and the Ch 13 Trustees are different people. Check out this link: http://www.bestcase.com/trustees13.htm
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

You are right, Startingover, that means I would have a different Trustee, but is it possible that there is only one? I guess with a ton of paralegals.... At least I don't know the Chapter 13 Trustee nor do I think there is a work connection. Thanks for the link!
                      Filed Chap. 7 1/11/09
                      Discharged 5/18/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X