2009 Stimulus Check and filing chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Stimulus Check and filing chapter 13

Right now I am about $69 above the median income. I will take unpaid day off so I can get below the median income. I also need to wait until August or September before I file, because I've got annual bonus at the end of January.

Here is my question:
    If they pass 2009 Stimulus checks, will the stimulus check count against my income? If it does, then I will be above the median income and have to do 5 years vs 3 years in chapter 13.

Does anybody know the answer?

Thanks.

Unknown until/if the 2009 checks go out (if they ever do). When the 2008 stimulus checks went out, as I recall it varied from court to court across the country whether the check was counted as income or not, so no help there.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

are they even talking about a 2009 stimilus checks? I haven't heard anything re: that.

Comment

no checks, just a little extra (15$) in your take home pay each check
        60 Month "Old Law"
        Filed 10/4/2004
        Confirmed 1/2005
        Discharged 9/8/2009

Comment

The only people who might get checks are on Social Security.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBankrupt33 View Post
            The only people who might get checks are on Social Security.
            I'm on Social Security Disability each month. My five year review is this October; however, It was noted in the Judge's ruling, my Neurosurgeon stated I was 100% disabled (which is true). So not worried about review.

How much are they talking about? Dang, this Chapter 7 planning is starting to get to me again and I've been at it since 9/08 when I met with the Attorney.

Luci
            Last edited by LuciluS; 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM. Reason: need to learn how to type

Comment

$250 in late May if you were entitled to social security at any time from Nov 2008 to Jan 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBankrupt33 View Post
                $250 in late May if you were entitled to social security at any time from Nov 2008 to Jan 2009.

And that is going to help the economy? Do they honestly think this $250 will increase consumer spending? I think NOT! Total waste of Taxpayers' Money.

Luci
                Last edited by LuciluS; 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM. Reason: Still can't type

Comment

I just started to get an extra $20 or so in my bi-weekly paycheck last pay period. I believe that has already started.

It's just an adjustment to witholding.......to offset the lower income taxes for 2009 as I understand it. Just lowers your tax liability, not an increase to your income.

K

PS: I'm referring to the economic stimulus as it applies to folks making under X amount of dollars/year. I know nothing about the Social Security details another poster is referring to.
                  You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

The Social Security check information is here:

At this time I would not expect a separate 2009 stimulus check. Congress is reportedly unwilling to consider a separate recovery bill this year. Of course, this could change if the economy significantly worsens, but it's far enough off the radar screen that I would not base my bankruptcy plan on it.

The current changes to withholding are called the Making Work Pay Credit:

For most people this results in a simple reduction in withheld taxes. It does not change your income, though. It is a non-taxable tax credit.

Since you weren't receiving this income during the preceding six months it shouldn't make you fail the Means Test, as I understand it.
                    Filing for parents: Dad w/ dementia, mother working at 71, 3 special needs g'kids
                    Rental property equity: $100,000, Consumer debt: $120,000
                    First meeting with attorney 12/16/08
                    Upshot: 60 mo plan, ~80% payback, rentals to trust & mom retires!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X