Bank Debit card Ch13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Debit card Ch13

This might be a stupid question, but will bank check cards get closed during Chapter 13 BK? I know my check card can be used as a credit or debit card. I wouldn't think so considering money has to be in bank account before using it. Getting ready to file Ch13 in about 4 months and want to make sure I know everything.
    Filed 9/01/2009
    341 Scheduled for 10/29/2009 (Smooth )
    Trustee Report of No Distributions 10/30/2009
    Actual Discharge 1/12/2010

Our debit card did not get cancelled. Actually, we got ours renewed a few days ago. But then, we have no loans with that bank or any of its branches.
    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Our debit cards were not cancelled either. We had a new account opened after we filed and were able to get a debit card with no questions asked.
      Filed 07/07, $120k unsecured debt
      Plan: $400 (includes cram down) 60 months
      Brilliant attorney, decent trustee, awesome plan

Comment

I live by my debit card since filing! It has a Mastercard logo, but was not in any way affected by filing. I even have a $700 line of "overdraft" at my bank so could use it like a credit card if I wanted, but never have.
        Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
        Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Your card shouldn't be cancelled unless you have other "business" with that bank. Since that card directly ties to your checking or savings account, it is not technically a credit card.
          Filed - 12/24/08 (Merry Christmas Credit Cards!)
          341 - 2/5/09
          Confirmation - 3/13/09....Happy Dance!!!

Comment

About two months after I filed my credit union put a freeze on my account because of a my VISA going into default with my bk. My debit card was cancelled and my account was closed. (Without warning either). I was able to go to a bank and open up an account and have not had any problems with getting a debit card!

Comment

I had accounts at a couple of banks before I filed. One bank I just did savings and bill pay with, the second one I had visa card with, had savings, and previous loans. Both banks had issued me debit cards. After I filed, the second bank froze my account and stopped my use of the debit card due to visa card being in the ch13.

My advise would be to establish all your banking business with a new bank if you have credit cards and stuff that will be included in your filling with your current one. That way it will be one less headache you have to deal with when you file.

Comment

Originally posted by BC7114 View Post
                This might be a stupid question, but will bank check cards get closed during Chapter 13 BK? I know my check card can be used as a credit or debit card. I wouldn't think so considering money has to be in bank account before using it. Getting ready to file Ch13 in about 4 months and want to make sure I know everything.
                Your checking account associated with the debit card should be fine; however, if you have a line of credit tied into it for overdraft protection purposes, more than likely it will get closed out especially if you included any accounts or credit cards associated with your bank in your filing. Our checking account/debit card was fine but our line of credit for overdraft protection purposes was cancelled out shortly after filing. It had a zero balance.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

The only thing I have with the bank other than checking account is my home loan. Which shouldn't be affected in CH.13.
                  Filed 9/01/2009
                  341 Scheduled for 10/29/2009 (Smooth )
                  Trustee Report of No Distributions 10/30/2009
                  Actual Discharge 1/12/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X