Tax Refund Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Refund Question??

My question is this. I just had my 341 meeting and everything went well. Trustee said all tax refunds are to be surrendered to his office. The last 4 years I have claimed my daughter for tax purposes. Will I get in any trouble from the trustees office if I let my daughters mother claim her instead so I don't get a large refund. My lawyer never gave me a clear answer but never said no. He just wanted to know why I would want to let her. I don't ask for child support, she just helps out when I need it. This way I could still possibly get my refund through her and just pay stuff with the cash??
    Filed: 3/04/2009
    341 Meeting: 4/20/2009 Confirmed: 5/15/09
    $25,000 Unsecured Debt/$11,500 Secured Claims
    $214/month for 60 months 0% Plan

You are allowed to change your withholdings at any time within your company's guidelines. Have you considered adjusting your withholdings to reduce your refund rather than reducing your dependents?

Here's the paper version of the IRS tax withholding "how to" pamphlet - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p919.pdf - and here's the electronic version of the same calculator - http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96196,00.html - to go about seeing if that's possible or not.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I have already adjusted my witholdings, but what I want to do is go back to normal witholdings so I get a minimal refund WITHOUT claiming my daughter. I want to let my girlfriend claim her so she gets the credit and the large refund and it doesn't have to be turned over to the trustee. I just want to know if that will cause any problems since she legally does have the right to claim her on her taxes?

Comment

You are also legally permitted to let your daughter's mother claim her. The trustee cannot stipulate how you do your taxes.

In your first post, you said "daughter's mother" but in the second post you said "girlfriend." Is this the same person? It makes a difference.

If you have a girlfriend who is not the biological mother of the child, then she could potentially claim your daughter as a dependent, but would not qualify for head of household status or get the child tax credit.

Comment

Sorry...

Yes they are the same person. I just don't want it to bite me in the rear if I suddenly quit claiming her on my taxes just to avoid giving up the refund.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X