When it comes to medical bills in a Chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it comes to medical bills in a Chapter 13

My husband and I are currently talking with attorneys about a possible 13. I have a few medical bills I haven't paid. One is a dental bill that I've tried to pay since I've seen my dentist for over 20 years. Do I have to include it?? I just worry if I do, they will not want me as a customer anymore. Anyone have similar worries??

You must include it. Nothing says you can't pay it in full after your CH 13 is done though. Explain to your dentist, if they don't want to treat you after that, well, that's a shame. They will probably just make you pay in full prior to service though.
    Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
    Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

One is a dental bill that I've tried to pay since I've seen my dentist for over 20 years.
      That's strange they won't accept the payment. Maybe they already sold off your account. How many times have you tried to pay it?

Do I have to include it??
      Absolutely not. Don't list them for the debt. By not accepting payment they're indicating that the debt isn't owed to them any more. You'll have to find out who they sold it too (shouldn't take long -- they'll call sooner or later)

I just worry if I do, they will not want me as a customer anymore. Anyone have similar worries??
      I'd find a new dentist anyway; who wants someone with a drill & sharp instruments inside your mouth when they have cause to be man at you?

Hang in there, and good for you for being proactive in your bk.

Comment

Thanks for the response. No, I currently have a balance with my dentist that I've been paying on (not for 20 years, I've just been going to him for that long).

Comment

Born Again gave you incorrect advice earlier - please don't follow it.

If the debt you owe your dentist is still owed when you file Ch 13, you MUST list it when you file - no exceptions. Even if the debt has been sold to a collector, you need to list BOTH the original creditor and the collection company when you file.

You also must be very careful about paying back unsecured debts like your dental bill before you file. You can pay back less then $600 total to any one unsecured creditor in the 90 days before filing - that's the limit. Otherwise your trustee can declare any payments greater than that a preferential payment and go ask your dentist for what you paid back.

Go slowly here and ask your lawyer what's best to do when you file.

Let your dentist know what's going on so he can file a claim and and least get some of what you owe him back. Your dentist may require you to pay for treatment in full before he/she will do any dental work in the future, but it's very unlikely that you'll be asked to leave the practice.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by BornAgain View Post
            Absolutely not. Don't list them for the debt. By not accepting payment they're indicating that the debt isn't owed to them any more. You'll have to find out who they sold it too (shouldn't take long -- they'll call sooner or later)
            THIS IS ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT!

The correct answer is that a debt owed at filing must ALWAYS be listed. If the original creditor has sold off the debt and you know what company picked it up, then you list BOTH companies on your forms.

BA, you seem very uninformed about how bankruptcy in general, and particularly Ch 13 actually works. In the future, please don't offer advice in this forum or any other unless you are absolutely certain you know the right answer to give.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget