top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self employed can ch 13 payment be reduced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed can ch 13 payment be reduced?

Hi. I am self employed and my income has dropped dramatically in the time since we've filed. We own our home and have a rental property my mother in law is living in. We are 3 months into paying $975/mo and are not paying at 100% payback.

My question is this. If the income can be verified can our payments be reduced to a more managable amount? We need to and want to keep both homes.

Thank you.

Well, your statement about "needing" to keep is never true for anyone, but "wanting" to keep is more accurate. There are always housing options.

If your only 3 months in, has your plan even been through confirmation? If you are pre-confirmation, you can amend your plan at anytime. If you are post confirmation, you need to file a Motion to amend your plan. If you are only 3 months in, I would expect an uphill battle on getting the plan amended this early, but if you have good documentation the court may approve the reduced payment.
    Last edited by HHM; 05-19-2009, 07:05 AM.

Comment

It has been confirmed. Thanks for your response. I have sent an email to my lawyer asking for options. My income has decreased an average of $2000/mo since the plan was proposed.

Comment

We are going in to see our lawyer today to change ours. I work in direct sales- so technically I am self-employed. Business has been really bad for me with the economy the way it is, I've lost my "team", I no longer make money from their sales. Our lawyer made us wait 30 days from the time I lost my team to prove there was no money coming in. I was contributing $971(according to our court papers... it fluctuated each month depending on my team sales) a month to our household income (after business expenses, taxes,etc).
        We are amending ours and I am basically giving up the job. We have to pay $600 to go through this process again, we just filed in December.
        Good luck to you!
        Last edited by MommyMc; 05-19-2009, 06:47 AM. Reason: type-o's

Comment

Let me know how you make out and I'll do the same. I'm waiting to hear back from my lawyer now.
          Good luck to you too!

Comment

I had a severe drop in sales and my payment was dropped to $100 per month for the next three months based on my attorney filing the motion.... If things dont pick up
            in three months then I will be converting from 13 to 7
            Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

Comment

Car67, do you own a home and or car payment and are they in the 13.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoneyinsc View Post
                It has been confirmed. Thanks for your response. I have sent an email to my lawyer asking for options. My income has decreased an average of $2000/mo since the plan was proposed.
                With that large a drop can you actually afford to keep your home? How much equity is in the house?

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

yes I have home and car payment not in the plan paid outside
                  Started in Chapt 13 Switched to Chapt 7 Discharged 2009 Dec.........Filed New Chapt 13 in 2010 to deal with new surgery bill and stripped second mortgage! The story continues

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X