Anyone do Ch13 themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone do Ch13 themselves?

Does anyone do Ch13 themselves, or do I pretty much HAVE to have a lawyer do it for me? It looks like I'm heading that direction now...
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

I have never seen anyone attempt it themselves successfully. In the St. Louis area, there are very few attorneys that practice in this area. The court rooms have a list of the main attorneys who practice in this area. Best wishes.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking I probably HAVE to have an attorney for 13. Oh well! More money out the window!
      As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

There is a section in the beginning of the forum called "pro se". I think that is for people who file on their own. Check it out.
        CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
        Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

Some Districts try to force you into being represented (by attorney) when filing a Chapter 13. Filing Chapter 13 pro se, isn't for everyone. You need to be meticulous, accurate to a fault, steadfast, adventurous, read alot, understand and divine (almost parse though the legalese), and most of all... have guts.

Some Districts also provide resources for Chapter 13 pro se filers in the form of some pro bono assistance and other things.

I would not recommend filing Chapter 13 pro se for everyone. If your case is complex (anything like mine), then you should get a lawyer. If assets are involved and you're trying to protect property, even the more reason to retain a lawyer.
          Last edited by justbroke; 06-08-2009, 04:06 PM. Reason: psst! a teacher is near, so I needed to correct some things!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have all those things you listed EXCEPT guts. LOL! I'm an English teacher, (MA in English Language and Lit) so I'm good with reading, analyzing, and being meticulous; however, guts are not my strong point. I do think our situation is somewhat complicated, as well, so I'm going to take everyone's advice and (if we DO file 13) get a lawyer...

I should have become an accountant instead...HA!

THANKS!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X