top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trustee's motion for dismissal (after conf)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee's motion for dismissal (after conf)

Hi all, new to the board. I am hoping someone has some insight, as I have yet to hear from my lawyer on this:

Our Ch. 13 Plan was confirmed in March 09. Today I got a notice from the trustee filing for a dismissal under the following grounds: "failure to finalize objection to claim #10 of County Tax Collector."

First, how could the plan have been confirmed with an open objection? Isn't that the whole point of getting confirmed?

We had no notice of any objection from the County Tax Collector. We previously had worked through an objection from our Auto loan, but nothing on old property taxes.

Are property taxes exempt from a 13 in California?

Any info you experts have would be greatly appreciated. All of you know what a trying experience this can be. My wife and I were quite happy to make our monthly payments and finish our plan in peace. But now...

Help!

Originally posted by Abrigo View Post
    Our Ch. 13 Plan was confirmed in March 09. Today I got a notice from the trustee filing for a dismissal under the following grounds: "failure to finalize objection to claim #10 of County Tax Collector."

First, how could the plan have been confirmed with an open objection? Isn't that the whole point of getting confirmed?
    At least in Florida, we don't confirm plans with any objections. The Order of Confirmation actually closes "all open issues".

We had no notice of any objection from the County Tax Collector. We previously had worked through an objection from our Auto loan, but nothing on old property taxes.
    Your lawyer may not have been checking the Claims Register. Claims can come in at any time for secured debt.

Are property taxes exempt from a 13 in California?
    Exempt from what?

All you need to do is immediately cure the problem with the Objection. The County Tax Collector probably objected to their treatment of their secured claim in your Plan. You should get on top of this and get this done so that they are included in the Plan.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      At least in Florida, we don't confirm plans with any objections. The Order of Confirmation actually closes "all open issues".

Your lawyer may not have been checking the Claims Register. Claims can come in at any time for secured debt.

Exempt from what?

All you need to do is immediately cure the problem with the Objection. The County Tax Collector probably objected to their treatment of their secured claim in your Plan. You should get on top of this and get this done so that they are included in the Plan.

Thanks for the feedback. But I am fairly certain that they WERE included in the plan, which makes their objection well after the fact surprising.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. But I am fairly certain that they WERE included in the plan, which makes their objection well after the fact surprising.
        Well, a secured creditor should object before confirmation or within a reasonable time. However, this could have just been overlooked.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Keep in mind, governmental units have an extended timeline to file their objections and proof of claims. That is probably why you were able to get confirmed, but still get an objection. Just work it out and amend your plan.
          Last edited by HHM; 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

The dealine for creditors to file claims extends beyond the confirmation hearing. If nothing is done about that tax claim, then it's not being treated in the case. You either need to object or you need to build it into your plan. If your plan doesn't allow for the treatment of that debt, then the plan can be rendered infeasible because it doesn't address everything going on.
            I do not provide legal advice. All I do here is give my two cents as an opinion and at least share some of the facts that I know. Attorneys can provide legal advice, so go ask them or hire one.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X