Is this the right thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the right thing?

I know you guys see this all the time but it's all new to me. So indulge my ignorance and my story.

In short a few years ago I had a pharmacy business and I was robbed...twice in one month. Without gory details the insurance companies hammered me and I incurred a substantial debt to my wholesaler. I sold what was left of the company and cleared about $300k in debt with the exception of the replaced products in the form of a $180k note. I was single then and I make a pretty good living but even so I was looking at a $3500/month payment I couldnt make and considered chapt 13 then. I called and attorney etc set it all up and calculated out what the plan would pay the wholesaler $400/month. I asked them if they would accept $600/mo for 5 years in leu of me filing they agreed. Well now..4.5 years later the economy is different and they now say they are "ok" with me paying this until the note is payed off. Ummm...right. Now Im not single and I have 3 stepdaughters and we bought a larger house (teenagers need bathrooms). All that being said I'll be dead before I pay this note off and I'm working extra now just to make ends meet and my wife just like many others had to take a pay cut to keep her job so we've started to get behind on AMEX and even our new mortgage (30days) so for me the writing seems to be on the wall.

Bottom line do I have to go through a chap 13 just to get rid of that note? Is there ANY other way to make them walk away. I still have a building that I have owner financed for the current tenet but It will only net about $20k after the sale...I'd happily give that over at closing but I don't want to if I'm going to have to do a chapt 13 anyway...

My discretionary income will look something like $200/month +/- maybe even less.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Atlas View Post
    Bottom line do I have to go through a chap 13 just to get rid of that note? Is there ANY other way to make them walk away. I still have a building that I have owner financed for the current tenet but It will only net about $20k after the sale...I'd happily give that over at closing but I don't want to if I'm going to have to do a chapt 13 anyway...
    You need to run the numbers and see if you qualify for a chapter 7. Go to LegalConsumer.com and take the On-Line Means Test.

While you may have counted your "discretionary income" as $200/month, the means test is much more mechanical and uses a very specific formula to determine if you qualify for a straight Chapter 7.

Also, you need to be current on your mortgage (in most cases) to do a Chapter 7.

If you're sure that you are going to be filing something, you need to stop paying the debts like the $180K note and credit cards. However, don't just stop right this second because I said so. Consult an attorney and find the best way to wind down those payments. You really need that extra money (from not paying the unsecured debt) to make sure your mortgage and car(s) are current.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I know I don't understand all the details yet but why would I want to do a chapter 7? I think I make too much money anyway ($130k) and doesnt' that mean I will have to sell everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas View Post
        I know I don't understand all the details yet but why would I want to do a chapter 7? I think I make too much money anyway ($130k) and doesnt' that mean I will have to sell everything?
        No, that doesn't mean it at all.

First, you need to understand your financial picture via the Means Test. Then you need to consider what the best Bankruptcy Chapter it benefits you most (Chapter 7 or Chapter 13).

Now, you must qualify for a chapter 7, but being over the median income doesn't disqualify you at all. It just requires you to take the means test and then have little to no disposable income (to fund a Chapter 13).

Chapter 7 also doesn't require you to sell everything either. Contrary to popular belief, most Chapter 7 filers keep all their junk (95% of them!). Yes, that's 95% that are "no asset" cases where they keep everything that they want to keep. Only 5% of the cases are asset cases where the debtor gives up "some" -- but not all -- of their junk.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I'll check it out..

Thank you very much. I have my first meeting (in 4years) with my attorney on monday. Not really looking forward to it.

Appreciate your help

Comment

Did you personally guarantee the pharmacy debt?
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X