The term "Unusual Circumstance" in BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The term "Unusual Circumstance" in BK

I am trying to understand the term Unusual Cirumstance. What role does this play in bankruptcy? What is the terms meaning in regards to bankruptcy/means teast, ect?

Originally posted by gunner01 View Post
    I am trying to understand the term Unusual Cirumstance. What role does this play in bankruptcy? What is the terms meaning in regards to bankruptcy/means teast, ect?
    Basically "unusual circumstances" are just that.....circumstances that may arise before or during a Ch 13 that were not expected and may impact your case.

The best example of an unusual circumstance that impacted the ability to file bk were the citizens who were devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Much of the documentation that would have been required to file bk - drivers licenses, social security cards, bills proving creditors owed, payment records, etc. were lost in the floods. The bk courts in the area gave those who lost homes in the flooding special consideration to help them start fresh again.

The judges in local bankruptcy courts are who makes the decision if the special circumstances involved merit "unusual consideration" by the bk court.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget