Claim Amounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claim Amounts

When a creditor claims more than what is in your plan do you have to pay the amount they claim or the amount that is in the plan?

When I filed I gave my lawyer the amounts owed based on the statements at that time. Now I see that Discover has claimed an amount way over what was owed on the statement. (i.e. the statement said $12,352 and disc is claiming $13, 798)

How is this worked out when the amount is hgiher?
    CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
    Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

The amount that Discover claims unless you dispute it. Sometimes the difference is because of a fee they charge for having to fill out the claim. I had one creditor charge a fee for the claim. But your amount of difference seems pretty high!

Comment

Looks like about a months worth of interest at the default rate. Did another statement cut before you filed? If not, they probably used a different date other than the date you filed for the claim amount (they should not have).

If you are in a 100% payback you may want to dispute the claim, depending on what your lawyer would charge you. If you are not in a 100% payback the amount you pay if not going to change, so it really doesn't matter.

Edit: Just saw you are in a 100%... so it comes down to making sure another statement did not get issued before you filed and how much your attorney will charge you for disputing the claim.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I had not received another statement before I filed. I will have to wait and see what all claims are put in first. I was just wondering which amount they would take into account.

I'll definitely keep an eye so that I can talk to my lawyer about it when the time comes.
        CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
        Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

I didn't have any problems with my claim amounts, but doesn't the creditor have to provide proof of what is owed when they file a claim to be paid?
          Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
          Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

Originally posted by zeezee View Post
            When a creditor claims more than what is in your plan do you have to pay the amount they claim or the amount that is in the plan?
            Any claim that was 10% more than what I schedule it for, was objected to. Plain and simple. (Even though I'm in a 0% plan.)

Since your amount is only about 10-11%... probably nothing to complain about unless you are in a forced 100% plan.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicollette View Post
              I didn't have any problems with my claim amounts, but doesn't the creditor have to provide proof of what is owed when they file a claim to be paid?
              From what I have seen "proof" is nothing more than a printout with your account number/name and an amount on it.
              Filed CH13 - 06/2009
              Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by forgotten View Post
                From what I have seen "proof" is nothing more than a printout with your account number/name and an amount on it.
                Since I filed pro se, I objected to any claim that didn't correctly document my account. Of those objections, only 2 companies provided the "statement" copies to prove ownership of the debt.
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X