Adding owed taxes for 2009.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding owed taxes for 2009.

If you know a ballpark estimate of what you will owe the IRS for this year, can you add it into your schedules? I want to file in October.

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
    If you know a ballpark estimate of what you will owe the IRS for this year, can you add it into your schedules? I want to file in October.
    I haven't researched it, but my instinct is that you don't owe the taxes for this year yet. They are due quarterly first, and then any balance is due on April 15 of next year. So the question becomes: Can you include a future debt that you don't owe yet? I'd say 'no' as a shoot-from-the-hip answer.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Besides, the IRS debt is non-dischargeable for a certain time period. There is a good sticky on the IRS time frame allowed and the criteria used posted by HHM for reference.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
        Can you add it into your schedules?
        I haven't seen any Chapter 13 in which a debtor added the current year tax liability. I think I saw a case or two, in which a Debtor added tax liability incurred shortly after filing their case and including it in their Plan. Now, I don't remember what "shortly" was, but they certainly didn't do this every year of their Plan.

Remember, your plan can be modified after notice and hearing.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

True, I am curious how my attorney will charge for a modification, if he/she wants it up front, I will not bother with it.

I will just try and have a little more taken out of my check before the year ends and try to break even.

Startingover08, I know the tax debt is non-dischargeable, I wanted to pay the claim through my plan.

Comment

Oops! Sorry.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I am self employed and was able to list my estimated taxes on my list of expenses. If you have owed previously you pay quarterly that would make it easier to list it in your expenses. I also pay my home taxes seperate from my mortgage and was allowed to list this on my expenses. I haven't had my 341 yet but these should be legitimate claims since you don't have a choice about paying taxes.

Comment

Its definetely a question for my paralegal, as they would be filling out the schedules.

N/P Startingover08, no need for apologies!

Comment

I filed in September 08, and did include estimated 09 taxes in the plan. We had to wait until early summer for the IRS to file a claim, but it's being paid through my Chapter 13 plan.

Comment

So long as no one objects, you can generally add current years taxes in the plan. The tax actually becomes due owed Jan 1st.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X