Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Fire your Attorney

Good Evening,

It has been 9 weeks since we have paid the fee to our lawyer, as of today they have done nothing for us, they do not return our call or emails. The limited contact they had with us is to tell us that it is going to be next week for the filling. We have done everything they asked for us to do, we send all the necessary paperwork, took the counseling class ect.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If they are going to file next week, why would you fire them?

Granted, it sounds like there have been issues, but at least give them the benefit of the doubt, if you are filing next week, no point in starting from scratch with a new attorney (also, you could be out all or portion of the fees you already paid).

Comment

HHM,

That is the point, we do not know if we are going to file next week or when at all

Comment

If you have not been filed. Just fire him. Ask for your money back or whatever he deems is due. If he did nothing, he owes you everything. Otherwise, ask for an itemized billing and a refund.

However, if he filed, you cannot fire him. You must make motion to the Court to release him for another. HHM is right. Wait it out at this time. Send him a registered complaint with a copy of the form (you can get off the Internet) of a form to his bar. It will not make him a friend to you, but it will get his attention. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Leave them a message that if they don't call you by Tuesday 5PM, then you will be considering firing them and retaining a new attorney. That should get them motivated.

Alas, HHM is right on. If they are actually filing next week...
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Other than the length of time to file, are you otherwise satisfied with the service you have received?

Sometimes, believe it or not, not often, but sometimes, it can legitimately take that long. You'd rather have it done right than have it done fast.
            Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

MSbklawyer,

If they returned my calls or email and kept us inform of what is going on, at of this point I dont even know what the plan will look like.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X