7 years after filed or discharged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 years after filed or discharged?

So im getting different answers to this question. I thought a Chapter 13 bankruptcy stays on your credit report for 7 years after discharged. I was at my management course today which is put on by my trustee, and the lady that was teaching it said that its 7 years after it was filed. Which is it?

I look it up online and I get 7 years after its discharged, so im kinda confused.
    Chapter 13 Filed: August 17, 2009
    341 Meeting: September 29, 2009

Originally posted by ame8199 View Post
    So im getting different answers to this question. I thought a Chapter 13 bankruptcy stays on your credit report for 7 years after discharged. I was at my management course today which is put on by my trustee, and the lady that was teaching it said that its 7 years after it was filed. Which is it?

I look it up online and I get 7 years after its discharged, so im kinda confused.
    I've always understood it to be 7 years from the filing date.
    Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
    Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

I guess the trustee's office would know...but I'll add it to my questions for my paralegal when i go to my pre-341 meeting.
      Chapter 13 Filed: August 17, 2009
      341 Meeting: September 29, 2009

Comment

It's 7 years from FILING! If it were 7 years from discharge that would make it a total of 12 years (if you were in a 5 year payback).
        CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
        Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

For Chapter 13s, it is 7 years from the filing date. For Chapter 7s, it is 10years from the filing date.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It is indeed 7 years from filing.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              For Chapter 13s, it is 7 years from the filing date. For Chapter 7s, it is 10years from the filing date.
              I want to add one thing to what I wrote. While it is 7 years after the filing date for a Chapter 13, the Credit Reporting Agencies (CRAs) have done this out of the goodness of their hearts. It is actually 10 years, per Federal Law, for both.

Justbroke's study guide: The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) Actually reads that "[c]Cases under title 11 [United States Code] or under the Bankruptcy Act that, from the date of entry of the order for relief or the date of adjudication, as the case may be, antedate the report by more than 10 years". It is the CRAs that have voluntarily decided that a Chapter 13 debtor, who attempts to pay back some of his unsecured debt, deserved a better "fresh start" than a Chapter 7 debtor.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by ame8199 View Post

7 years from filing....my CR reports state to be removed in 10/2001..
                60 Month "Old Law"
                Filed 10/4/2004
                Confirmed 1/2005
                Discharged 9/8/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X