CH13 software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CH13 software

Does anyone know of a popular brand of Ch13 plan software used by paralegals? I'm asking because my plan needs to be amended and the paralegal keeps coming up with a plan that has me paying $1500 for 12 months and then $800 for the next 36. I have no changes to income or expense between those months, so I don't understand why the drastic difference. So i'm trying to maybe research just what Ch13 software programs do.

When I ask the paralegal why the drastic difference, he says "well that's what the software is doing".
    May 2008: Filed Chapter 13
    Jan 2010: Plan Amended and Confirmed! finally plan funds = total funds due!
    Jul 2013: 5 years done! Trustee set to discharge! Woo hoooo!

Originally posted by holding on View Post
    When I ask the paralegal why the drastic difference, he says "well that's what the software is doing".
    That is the best illustration I can think of as to why you should hire a lawyer instead of a paralegal. The software is telling the paralegal what to do instead of the other way around. Tail wagging the dog, so to speak.

But, to answer your question, the most popular brand of bk software is Bestcase Solutions. www.bestcase.com. It ain't cheap.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

As my Rajun Cajun friend, MSbklawyer, mentions, there is Best Case. The best thing about Best Case, is that you can download it and use it for free. The only thing is that it won't allow you to file anything because it stamps "DEMO" on everything.

If you're just trying to see what the Paralegal is seeing, and they use Best Case, ask the Para if she can send you the "BCB" file for your case.

Also, I agree with MSbklawyer on another thing. Reads like the paralegal doesn't know how to code things. In BestCase you can mark things, on the plan, as prorata, and that can make a difference. The only reason to have large payments up front, are usually to pay the attorney or other priority debt.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Do you have any car payments being paid off during the plan. That would be an adjustment, but I'd see a payment of $800 going to $1100 if a $300 car payment disappears.
        I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
          That is the best illustration I can think of as to why you should hire a lawyer instead of a paralegal. The software is telling the paralegal what to do instead of the other way around. Tail wagging the dog, so to speak.
          Oh I agree 100%. Guess how I felt when I hired a ch13 lawyer, get ch13 lawyer's fee paid, and come plan finalization time the lawyer tells me about his paralegal who comes up with the ch13 plan documents. This is the 2nd continuance the Trustee has granted in regards to his dismissal request. No payments are coming off or being added into the plan at all, to cause these wild swings. I'm telling you I know more about ch13 just from this forum than my ch13 lawyer does.

Ok enough of my venting...thanks for the bestcase tip. I will definitely ask the paralegal what software they are using and to send me a file if its bestcase. This eases my mind alot.
          May 2008: Filed Chapter 13
          Jan 2010: Plan Amended and Confirmed! finally plan funds = total funds due!
          Jul 2013: 5 years done! Trustee set to discharge! Woo hoooo!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X