Preferential Payment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferential Payment...

Do preferential payments only become a concern in Chapter 7? If going with Chapter 13, are they still an issue?

Thanks!
    Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
    Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
    Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
    341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Do preferential payments only become a concern in Chapter 7? If going with Chapter 13, are they still an issue?
    Pre-filing preferential payments to unsecured creditors or insiders are an issue in both Ch 7 and 13. Any payment over $600 made to an unsecured creditor during the 90 days before filing can be suspect. Any transfers of cash, assets, or properties to an insider going back a year can be suspect, even if the transfer was done innocently at the time.

Are you concerned about a payment you've made that could be considered preferential?
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Can be a factor in chapter 13, but as with any asset issue, you can usually reconcile the problem through the payment plan

For example, if you paid back Grand Ma the $5K you borrowed and filed Chap 13 BK within 1 year, so long as your chapter 13 pays at least $5K over the 60 months, you should be ok.
      Last edited by HHM; 11-23-2009, 05:18 AM.

Comment

My concern is payments made under pressure from one cc issuer over another.
        Attorney Retained/Paid: 1-4-10
        Online CCC-Completed & Cert Received: 1-8-10
        Filed Chapter 7 1-18-10.
        341 3-10-10 ~~~ Last Day to Object: 5-10-10

Comment

Not going to be an issue. Generally, unless the preference was to insider, a preference issue is not even of concern to the debtor (you). All that happens is the trustee demands the money from the creditor and it simply goes into the BK. No big deal. A preference issue will generally not effect the other aspects of your BK.

Comment

The trustee will take care of this. It happened in my case. I had paid Citi around 1600 in the 3 months prior to filing. The trustee got the money back from Citi. (Weird thing, Citi didn't even file any claims...so not only did they pay the trustee money, they never got any during my Chapter 13)
            Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
            Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
            Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

HHM,just reading back on this old thread and wondering if the trustee takes back money to redistribute, does it go to priority debts that have to be paid off before the CC's? We will have child support arrears and owe IRS so I am wondering if this money goes toward that first or to the CC's.
              Thanks
              Filed CH13/5yr 7/29/10
              341 10/7/10
              Confirmed 11/7/10

Comment

If any money is taken back, whether from the person you made the payment to, or if you and the trustee make an agreement that YOU pay the money back, so that he doesn't have to go after the other person, that money will be distributed to the topmost creditor in your priority debt totem pole.

Example: If you owe IRS money, and you owe a student loan money, the money will be distributed to the IRS first. Any residual will then be trickled to the student loan, and so on down the food chain.
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks AngelinaCat!!
                  Filed CH13/5yr 7/29/10
                  341 10/7/10
                  Confirmed 11/7/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X