top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common expenses... budget allowed for them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common expenses... budget allowed for them?

Thinking about my Schedule J (yes, I think about my BK schedules a lot lately - want to make sure they're "right" before I file since before you file seems to the be the time to get them right)... there are some common recurring expenses I still have that don't seem to have a line item that provides "non descretionary" money for them.

Which Schedule J line item would these expenses come from (if I'm allowed to continue to do them)?

* Home Cable - Recreation?
    * Home Internet - Recreation?
    * Terminix (bug spray for home) - Home maintenance?
    * Tax Advice (CPA doing taxes) - ?
    * Sirius / XM Radio subscription - Recreation?
    * Car Service - Transportation?
    * Car Registration - Transportation?
    * Car Gas - Transportation?
    * Haircuts - ?
    * Yard / Lawn care - Home maintenance?
    * Home Security Monitoring - Home maintenance?
    * Pet expenses (Vet, Grooming, Food?)

Any other common expenses that I should be thinking about saving for?

How much are people able to put for Recreation? My attorney is saying $200.

Thanks!

Originally posted by ArizonaBK13 View Post
    * Home Cable - Recreation?
    This is a utility. You should be able to do $50 in most Districts.

* Home Internet - Recreation?
    This is a utility. You should be able to do $50 in most Districts.

* Terminix (bug spray for home) - Home maintenance?
    This may be considered a luxury (having people come out and spray/etc). I would include this under home maintenance.

* Tax Advice (CPA doing taxes) - ?
    Under taxes.

* Sirius / XM Radio subscription - Recreation?
    This is a luxury, and will not be allowed.

* Car Service - Transportation?
    * Car Registration - Transportation?
    * Car Gas - Transportation?
    These are transportation expenses. Don't go crazy with these, as they can/will be questioned if they seem high. Don't ask me what "high" is.

* Haircuts - ?
    Yes, under "other"/personal services.

* Yard / Lawn care - Home maintenance?
    This is a luxury if it's being performed by a landscaping company. You can put a reasonable amount for doing this yourself. Of course, this may vary by District. (Some Districts may allow you to pay for monthly landscaping services from a 3rd party.)

* Home Security Monitoring - Home maintenance?
    This may be considered a luxury. You would need to prove that this is due to a restraining order or other order of the court to protect you and/or your family from some sort of domestic violence.

Protection against family violence. Enter the total average reasonably necessary monthly expenses that you actually incur to maintain the safety of your family under the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act or other applicable federal law. The nature of these expenses is required to be kept confidential by the court.

* Pet expenses (Vet, Grooming, Food?)
    This may be considered luxury if it's too much. You could put this under "other" on Schedule J. Depending on the Trustee/District, it may be questioned.

How much are people able to put for Recreation? My attorney is saying $200.
    I wouldn't put more than $200, although I put $400 for a family of 4.
    Last edited by justbroke; 12-06-2009, 09:17 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response - see about $300/month right there!

When you say something like "This is a luxury, and will not be allowed." - does that mean that I can pay for it from "Recreation" monies just not an "Other" line if I wanted to, and that fit in my "Recreation" budget?

Comment

When you say something like "This is a luxury, and will not be allowed." - does that mean that I can pay for it from "Recreation" monies just not an "Other" line if I wanted to, and that fit in my "Recreation" budget?
        Exactly.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If you are filing in Arizona,

Take a look at what the TRUSTEE actually will use when looking at your expenses.

from

www.maney13trustee.com , one of the trustees in the metro area.

And yes, it says "as of 2008", it is current, I called the trustee office and asked them.

Now just because you exceed these amounts, does NOT mean you still can't claim them, you might just need receipts.

The recreation amount is correct, so life will not be all that bad after all during your 13.

Also, to help you out with other things you might be forgetting about, use this expense calculator, which will do everything for you.

Good luck to you.

Comment

We estimated our expenses in our budget, but the biggest number to be worried about is your plan payment. How much is it going to be.
            If you have padding, you can skimp here and there if you need to but you always NEED to know what you HAVE to pay to keep your bk going.
            Towards our confirmation date, we received an ammended copy that had incorrect numbers on them for 2 of the expenses (food and insurance). I frantically called our attorney and told them to change it (this is the day before confirmation hearing) and he said, "I'm not worried about the specific amout for food, etc. What I'm worried about is if you are going to be able to make your plan payment of ___ every month!" I would look at it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by flower04 View Post
              "I'm not worried about the specific amout for food, etc. What I'm worried about is if you are going to be able to make your plan payment of ___ every month!" I would look at it like that.
              Is that like your stomach is half-full or half-empty sorta way of looking at it?

Comment

Plus, the way I understand it, is any approved budget item actually lowers your plan payment, making it more affordable. Given that, wouldn't that make sense to get the highest amount for every budget item you possibly can with the trustee?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X