top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switching from a chapter 13 to a chapter 7.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching from a chapter 13 to a chapter 7.

I have a relitive that filed chapter 13 to keep there house and at the time there income was alittle high. They have since lost there house and over half their income. I told them i thought they could switch from ch 13 to ch 7.
    Can you tell me how much it will cost is it just about as much as filing more less or nothing extra. How hard is it to get this done.

I can't tell you specifically how much it will cost. It's best to go back to the Attorney that filed the Chapter 13 and ask how much a conversion will cost. It should be less than what was paid to file the Chapter 13 for two reasons. First, if it's a conversion, there isn't as much paperwork to "update". Second, Chapter 7s generally cost less to file, although your "friend" may have included much of the attorney fee in the Chapter 13 "plan".

They would still need to qualify for the Chapter 7. With the loss of the payment for their home, this could prove to be difficult. Again, have them speak with their current attorney. That's the first place you go whenever you are having money problems in an Active Chapter 13.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I think they qualify. There income is rather low and SSI and SSDI.
      Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      I can't tell you specifically how much it will cost. It's best to go back to the Attorney that filed the Chapter 13 and ask how much a conversion will cost. It should be less than what was paid to file the Chapter 13 for two reasons. First, if it's a conversion, there isn't as much paperwork to "update". Second, Chapter 7s generally cost less to file, although your "friend" may have included much of the attorney fee in the Chapter 13 "plan".

They would still need to qualify for the Chapter 7. With the loss of the payment for their home, this could prove to be difficult. Again, have them speak with their current attorney. That's the first place you go whenever you are having money problems in an Active Chapter 13.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X