Car loan issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car loan issues

I was discharged from my 100% Chapter 13 2 weeks ago. About 1/2 way through my plan I turned in a leased vehicle and got approval from the court to get a new used car paid for during my plan. I got a loan through Credit Acceptance Corp. Apparently the court had the wrong address for them and no payments went out for 9 months. The snafu was fixed, the court sent out a lump sum payment and every payment thereafter. Since I got my Chapter 13 payments stopped I have paid 4 extra car payments to get ahead and get the thing paid off. I checked my credit scores last week and found that Credit Acceptance had closed my account. I called them and was told that it was a computer snafu and they would take it to a manager to fix it. I called back when told to and was again told that it would be taken to a manager to be fixed and a third time. My question is this. Should I get my 13 attorney involved since the loan was gotten during the course of the plan and this snafu has to do with the discharge not being handled properly by the creditor? Or am I on my own now? Rebuilding my credit starts with them and the entry on my reports saying that I have never paid them for a car loan.

First, a big CONGRATS!!! for successfully finishing your 13! That's fantastic news!! Way to go!!

Originally posted by jjj117 View Post
    Should I get my 13 attorney involved since the loan was gotten during the course of the plan and this snafu has to do with the discharge not being handled properly by the creditor? Or am I on my own now? Rebuilding my credit starts with them and the entry on my reports saying that I have never paid them for a car loan.
    Since the car loan happened after you filed, it really was not a part of your Ch 13 and the creditor should report it on your credit report. Definitely keep pursuing this. And I would get off the phone and start sending certified, return receipt letters. You need a paper trail for proof if you intend to pursue this legally.

If you liked your Ch 13 lawyer and felt well-represented, then of course you can certainly ask for his/her help resolving this - I would. Just be prepared that you may have to pay extra for the legal help now that your 13 is over.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget