top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got confirmed, but attny dropped the ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got confirmed, but attny dropped the ball?

We filed back in June. Our case was fairly simple, so we thought, with a couple of "standard" problems we were told would be addressed.
    • Vehicle Loan Modification
    • IRS debt
    • Student Loan
    Vehicle Loan Modification
    Our attorney was planning on getting our vehicle loan value modified because we had owned the vehicle for x# of days prior to filing bankruptcy. We signed papers in her office for this, when we signed the papers to file the bankruptcy. She said she had to wait however for the credit union to make their claim for the vehicle. In the meantime we had to get an appraisal done at a dealership, which we did.

IRS debt
    The other issue was that the IRS claimed part of our debt as secured at 4% interest (about $16k of the $42K we owed in taxes). She was not sure why they filed it that way, but was going to to check it out and argue it if necessary.

Student Loan debt
    We were told that our student loan debt was priority, and the plan was filed that way. The trustee said no, it has to be done as unsecured. However, we would come out after the 13 was done and still owe to SallieMae, in fact owing MORE because interest would keep accruing. We wanted to know if we could argue it should be given priority status, since it already has the special status of the unpaid balance not being dischargable like the other unsecured debts OR if we could remove it from the plan and pay it directly outside of the plan so that we don't end up own thousands of dollars more than we do now.

We kept calling her office and would get voicemail, or her paralegal saying she hadn't had a chance to talk with her yet about it, etc. Hubby even stopped in one day to see if she had time to talk, as her office is directly across the street from his, and she just copped an attitude and said "oh I see- how about if I just pop in to your office unannounced one day". Sigh.

So we resorted to writing out our questions and concerns in a letter- the first one being that they were not communicating with us. She finally gave us a call- basically the only question she answered was that our student loan would be treated as unsecured debt (which is different than what she told us, and different than how her office filed our plan) but she wasn't sure what we could do about how that would put us at owing MORE to the student loan company after our ch13 was done than we do now. Everything else she would look into and assured us that they aren't speedily returning our phone calls because these cases take time and it could be months before it's confirmed.

So we decided to take a breath, and relax. She would let us know when something was going on.

Well...the paralegal called this Monday to say our plan was confirmed on the 5th. We were shocked. We didn't even know that the Confirmation hearing was scheduled. (we got notification of the 1st hearing date back in Oct, but since we did not go and only our attny did to extend it we personally never got notification of any new dates after that...I guess that's normal??) I called the office to find out exactly what was confirmed. Voicemail..3x. I emailed 1x.

Yesterday I got our paperwork in the mail and the plan is unchanged (except for the student loan being unsecured, which is what the trustee said had to be).
    The vehicle loan is full value.
    The IRS is partially secured.
    AND for some reason both of those items are listed at being paid off "within 36 months" .??? That's new.

So it appears that nothing was done by my attorney. Not to mention that when we signed all our paperwork the paralegal kept reassuring us that our payment would go down depending on how many creditors put in claims. Everything I read, and my gut, told me differently. I was right- the payment is still $1800.

I called the attny again, asking for an explanation. I also called the paralegal and emailed the paralegal. She emailed me back saying she would need a couple days to pull my file and look it over.

What do I do at this point? I have a feeling that my attny waited too long and couldn't object to either the IRS or the Credit Union claim because too much time had passed. Maybe I'm wrong. But I feel like we just paid $3k and all our attny did was pretty us up to feed to the wolves. Should I also add that this attorney is well versed in Bankruptcy and does a lot of these- she markets herself as a bankruptcy attorney. I think she should have known about many of these "simple problems", and about the student loan status when filing the plan, wouldn't you?
    Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

There really isn't enough data for me to rate your attorney. Sure, many attorneys attempt to give Student Loans a different "classification" as other claims, but they are... general unsecured debt, just like a credit card. As for your car and it being "crammed down"... did you have the car for more than 910 days prior to filing? Also, did the credit union ever file a claim? As for the IRS being secured... if the IRS stays it's secured... it is usually secured. You could fight with them if you like, but they are "usually" accurate. The IRS is entitled to priority as well on the actual taxes and interest on the tax but not the penalties or the accrued interest on the penalties (which are treated as general unsecured).

It reads like you have a real communication problem with the attorney. I would demand a meeting with the attorney to review everything, and have everything explained.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Questions

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      There really isn't enough data for me to rate your attorney. Sure, many attorneys attempt to give Student Loans a different "classification" as other claims, but they are... general unsecured debt, just like a credit card. As for your car and it being "crammed down"... did you have the car for more than 910 days prior to filing? Also, did the credit union ever file a claim? As for the IRS being secured... if the IRS stays it's secured... it is usually secured. You could fight with them if you like, but they are "usually" accurate. The IRS is entitled to priority as well on the actual taxes and interest on the tax but not the penalties or the accrued interest on the penalties (which are treated as general unsecured).

It reads like you have a real communication problem with the attorney. I would demand a meeting with the attorney to review everything, and have everything explained.
      Thanks for replying.
      I believe we met the number of days requirement for the vehicle. The paralegal requested loan docs to make sure the dates were good and I think I recall her saying we squeaked in by a couple days. I'm not positive if the CU ever filed a claim- our attny never provided us with a list of claims made. Should they have? I would assume they did since the trustee has been making protection payments to them, it shows the claim amount on the trustee website and the amount paid out to them so far.

I questioned why the IRS made a partial secured claim. Why not secure the whole thing? Why just part of it? Why the amount they did? Is the penalty and interest on the penalty, what they are not entitled to as priority, what they claim to be secured possibly? Secured to what? (we are not homeowners). Even the officiant at the Meeting of Creditors just said "huh" when he saw it. I also question the total amount claimed and would have liked her to have them prove it- since the statement I got from the IRS showing the payments on the account from July08-July09 showed nothing paid. While I made no intallment payments, they got my stimulus money and my tax refund- but it doesn't show on the yearly statement. I am skeptical (and like you said- everyone assumes they are right).

You are right- I am very very frustrated with the lack of communication from this attny. I am hoping for a phone call to schedule a sit down.
      Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

Originally posted by olivies View Post
        I questioned why the IRS made a partial secured claim. Why not secure the whole thing? Why just part of it? Why the amount they did? Is the penalty and interest on the penalty, what they are not entitled to as priority, what they claim to be secured possibly? Secured to what? (we are not homeowners).
        The IRS' secured claim would be secured against any and ALL property (real or personal). in other words, your cars, furniture, jewelry, cash in banks, everything. The IRS just can't make everything you owe them secured debt. They have to split it up. IRS tax debt can be split into secured, priority unsecured and general unsecured.

I also question the total amount claimed and would have liked her to have them prove it- since the statement I got from the IRS showing the payments on the account from July08-July09 showed nothing paid. While I made no intallment payments, they got my stimulus money and my tax refund- but it doesn't show on the yearly statement. I am skeptical (and like you said- everyone assumes they are right).
        Then you and your attorney should object to the IRS' claim. I double checked my numbers with the IRS and was pleasantly surprised that they separated mine into priority and general unsecured! Since I'm paying 0% to unsecured creditors... I saved money.

You are right- I am very very frustrated with the lack of communication from this attny. I am hoping for a phone call to schedule a sit down.
        Well, we'll have to button all this down. As I wrote, demand a meeting for at least 30-60 minutes to review these items.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

But at this point...

Can any of it (the IRS amount, the vehicle value) be questioned or changed if the confirmation has been granted?

Comment

Yes, you can always modify a confirmed plan. Just requires a hearing.

Comment

Do you have access to PACER so you can look online at your account ??? Also, there is Chapter13datacenter that you can access information on your account....

I am getting the feeling you fell into the same attorney trap that I have found myself in ... They are great talkers before you pay the retainer and file..Then it all falls apart...Then they say after looking over you case this had to be changed and that had to be changed to make it work .. I thought I filed with one pmt amount and ended up with another.. I was furious that I was not told that information. They forget that they are talking about the next 5 yrs of my life ...You are just a number to them... At first they say all the right things to make you happy. Mine (thank god) has turned out to be a fairly good plan that I can live with but it has had many ups & downs....
              Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
              Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
              Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

Ugh...I'm dealing with an attorney now that sounds much like yours. So many mistakes on my plan and them telling me that the payment will probably decrease after the hearing etc...and they treat me like I am an inconvenience to them. I feel your pain.

Just got off the phone with my attorney's "assistant" (wife)...told her I think I'm going to have to surrender one of the rental properties because it's costing me too much in the plan to keep it, she sighs and says "you should have thought about this before". I told her I asked for advice and counseling from them and I didn't get it, she said..."It wasn't our place to tell you whether you should keep your property or not." What?? Am I wrong in assuming that your attorney should give you ADVICE? Whatever. Now I'm asking to amend my plan and she's huffing and puffing and acting like I'm the biggest pain in the ass she's ever dealt with. It took them 2 MONTHS to get our filing papers together after I turned in all my stuff to them, then they scrambled at the end of the year to get it filed, it looks like they only spent a couple of hours on our paperwork with all the mistakes in there. THey've got our disposable income as being -$5000 a month?! Then a $2800 plan payment. It makes no sense whatsoever. But now I have to come up with the first $2800 payment until we can get the plan amended. Ugh.

Comment

Its amazing to me that this is what these attorneys do day in and day out yet they seem so uninformed when it comes to the nitty ,gritty of it all.... I still believe the majority of attorneys are on the ball & looking out for the best interest of there clients ... But I guess the bad ones are out there just like any other occupation...
                  Also, I am sure they are very busy right now with all the bk filings but if they cant handle the number of clients then stop taking them on... Oh, but the $$$ signs in front of there eyes are soooo enticing !!
                  Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                  Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                  Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X