tax return, student loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax return, student loans

Hi, I am 13 of 60 payments down on Chap. 13. Last year I received a tax return and was able to keep it but I had filed BK in Dec.08, taxes in Jan.09 so may have been too soon for gov't to catch up. My student loans which are outside the bankruptcy are on "hold" during the 60 mos. of the BK. Anyone know if the IRS will keep my return this year due to the student loans? Wouldn't be much as I keep the return very close but if they do, how do I get accounting of what was paid to whom? I have a consolidated loan thru Sallie Mae. Any ideas? Thx.

Originally posted by azmom View Post
    Anyone know if the IRS will keep my return this year due to the student loans?
    Hmmmm.....since your SLs are on deferment for the length of your plan, why would the IRS keep your return? They can't just send it to SallieMae - that would not make your trustee happy.

Ask your lawyer, but the only thing you have to worry about with your refund is if your trustee wants it. That's going to depend on how your trustee treats tax refunds during an active Ch 13. Your lawyer can tell you what to expect.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

And I thank you for the response. I did call the lawyer and they said no way they can keep. My trustee has not required I send to him either so have been fortunate. Not a whole lot but all of it counts!!

Comment

I did call the lawyer and they said no way they can keep. My trustee has not required I send to him either so have been fortunate. Not a whole lot but all of it counts!!
        Great news that you will get to keep your refund! Glad to hear it!
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

And I thank you for the response. I did call the lawyer and they said no way they can keep. My trustee has not required I send to him either so have been fortunate. Not a whole lot but all of it counts!!
          Thats good news for me, thanks for the insight.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X