City tax problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City tax problem

My husband and I filed chapter 13 in November 2006.

In Ohio, some local city taxes are managed under one agency called the regional income tax agency. RITA for short. My husband's job does not deduct for city or local income tax because he works in a township. In Ohio, townships do not have local taxes they are supported through the main town or county.

I'm not use to any of this because of being originally from PA. All I had to do in PA was mail in my W-2 every year then they would send a form for me to sign. Easy and simple but not in this state. This agency is so unorganized. We received a notice to appear in our former town's city hall in only one week. We didn't receive the notice certified nor did we receive any other letter requesting we file local taxes for 2007. They did ask for proof if we moved out the town about a month ago, but no request for filing.

I sent them a copy of our lease from 2007 stating we moved in the middle of that year. I don't know what other proof they needed. Also, this agency is listed as one of our creditors. My Trustee in 2007 sent a letter notifying every creditor of the change of address.

This is how I know this agency is unorganized. We've paid back taxes on our plan. They should also know to contact our lawyer first if they had any questions. How can we be sued when we never received any prior notice about our 2007 taxes? Especially since they are on our petition. All they had to do was contact our lawyer for our W-2 information and calculate the tax and request disbursement from our plan. No, they ruined our valentine day dinner plans.

I had to fax over the completed W-2's from 2007. Give them proof again of our residency change. Mail them proof of our bankruptcy and lawyer information. Now, it will take me all day Tuesday to deal with this agency. Contact my lawyer again, I spoke with one of her partners who told me to fax all the information to the agency ASAP.

I think what the agency is trying to double tax me. Trying to get me to pay out of pocket then they'll submit a request for disbursement. It's paid enough we pay over $1300 a month for 10 year old debt. We're almost due to be discharged. We're paid all our secured debt and have paid almost 75% of our unsecured debt so far. Now, we'll have to pay a mere $300 and this will delay our discharge. To all PA residents, don't ever more to Ohio. I miss my home state!!
    Last edited by lrprn; 02-14-2010, 08:17 AM. Reason: increase readability

Sounds like your lawyer has given you good advice to handle this situation. Send off what you have to send, and celebrate washing your hands of this with a late Valentine's Day dinner.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget