top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you paid more than $600 to any one creditor in past 90 days...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you paid more than $600 to any one creditor in past 90 days...?

Why yes I have...

One CC minimum payment is $450/month, another is $240/month. And I've been current on all of them up until 10 days ago (got my first call last night; about peed myself... I don't know if I can handle not paying my bills for a while, it's just not "me" to do such a thing.)

Anyway, so what's this going to do to me since I will answer yes to this question? And 90 days from what date, the date I file or the date of the 341 meeting? I plan on filing in late February or early March.

A little side note, I absolutely love this forum. I have gotten so much information and you guys are just so great and understanding!!!
    4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
    6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
    7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

I don't think it will do anything to you. The creditors you paid could be forced to return the payments to the trustee.

If you know you are going to file, you are just throwing your money away by paying unsecured creditors. Is it "you" to throw money in a paper shredder? Use the money to pay your attorney and stock up on food and other exempt items.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Is it "you" to throw money in a paper shredder?

Honestly, yes... that's pretty much how I got myself where I am today. LOL

I do see your point, and with the advice of others on this forum I have stopped paying them. It's just something I'm going to have to get used to for a while until I get everything done.
      4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
      6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
      7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

I should take my own advice. I've been waiting to talk to attorneys before stopping payments, partly because I'm considering financing a car first. But, I keep procrastinating making appointments with attorneys.

Here's an article on preference payments that may set your mind at ease: http://www.moranlaw.net/preferences.htm
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by nsupanda View Post

One CC minimum payment is $450/month, another is $240/month. And I've been current on all of them up until 10 days ago (got my first call last night; about peed myself... I don't know if I can handle not paying my bills for a while, it's just not "me" to do such a thing.)
          If you're planning on filing soon, I wouldn't be overly concerned with calls. Answer one, confirm your identity, and inform the creditor you simply don't have the money to pay. Voicemail and silent ringer features are remarkable tools! I'd rather see you invest in Depends than waste your money on debt that will be discharged (who knows...maybe adult diapers can serve as your new piggy bank?) . Ask yourself, am I willing to pay nearly $700/month to avoid phone calls I don't have to answer?

Prior to deciding to default on my mortgage, I had never missed any debt payment. Unlike you (I HOPE!), I continued to pay creditors (due to unrealistic fears of recent charges). I was successfully discharged. Heed my hindsight lesson...don't waste your money.
          *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

I have not paid mortgage nor CCards for 4 months. Got calls from Chase and Capital one 3 times a day. Answered them once told them like to pay but nothing left after utilities and food for 3 kids. Use Skype as my home turn off the ringer , charge the phone every night, then throw it in the drawer before 8 AM. On Sundays I kind of miss them when they don't call.

Comment

Another great idea that we had: we bought a magic jack. It cost us $40 and includes one year of service. We kept our main number but turned off the ringer and let it go to voice mail. We used the magic jack device as our main number for 9 months since we stopped paying the mortgage on our second home and started getting 3 calls a day. The calls multiplied significantly once we stopped paying our credit cards. After we filed we went back to our old number and now we have a second phone line with the magic jack for $20 a year. The best part though was not having to hear the phone ring constantly.

Comment

I know what you mean. Right now, I'm only late on Capital One and Discover, and they friggin call here ALL DAY NONSTOP. Today, Advanta joined the party (after only being like a week late), and soon, Chase, Bank of America and Amex will be joining the fun. I turned my ringers off today. Maybe I'll look into that magic jack!

Comment

Originally posted by overspent View Post
                  I have not paid mortgage nor CCards for 4 months. Got calls from Chase and Capital one 3 times a day. Answered them once told them like to pay but nothing left after utilities and food for 3 kids. Use Skype as my home turn off the ringer , charge the phone every night, then throw it in the drawer before 8 AM. On Sundays I kind of miss them when they don't call.
                  You're lucky - - I had them calling at 8:45PM Sunday night.
                  19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X