How do they know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do they know?

How does the trustee know if you get a new job or get overtime or a raise? I'm just wondering. Other than seeing the information on the next years tax return.....

Originally posted by sassiebaz View Post
    How does the trustee know if you get a new job or get overtime or a raise? I'm just wondering. Other than seeing the information on the next years tax return.....
    Seeing the annual tax returns is the typical way most Ch 13 trustees keep track of what is happening with their filers' income. How the trustee reacts to changes varies a great deal across the country.

Also keep in mind that your trustee can ask for copies of your current financial records any time during your 13. However, unless there is some suspicion of fraud, 99% of the time this doesn't happen.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Ask your attorney about what is expected of you during the plan. Our attorney made it very clear during our meeting, as well as in yearly letters, that all changes in income (either increase or decrease) must be revealed. It is also standard in our district to send the trustee our income tax returns.

In year 2 of our plan my husband got a raise. I didn't think it was significant enough that a trustee would want to raise our plan payments, but I wasn't going to chance being quiet about it. I wrote a letter to our attorney and mailed it CCR along with a copy of the first paycheck that reflected the raise. Nothing came about from it (no raise in our plan payments) but if the trustee ever comes around saying "You made more money, we want it" I have proof that I informed our attorney.
      Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
      I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

So is sending in your tax return usually required? Or is it usually driven by county/state? Way my attorney talks, I won't have to do this or not been mention

Comment

Originally posted by mkstlowe View Post
          So is sending in your tax return usually required? Or is it usually driven by county/state? Way my attorney talks, I won't have to do this or not been mention
          It's district specific it seems. Ours does, yours may not. Your attorney would be the best source to ask.
          Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
          I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

we have to send a copy of our tax refund to the trustee and we have it electronically sent to her. If we are slightly slow on sending it she sends out a reminder to send it in asap. This is the state of michigan..
            Chapter13
            100% unsecured/secured payback
            "WAITING FOR DISCHARGE" DONE!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X