confused about buying a car during 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confused about buying a car during 13

I asked my lawyer about buying a car during chapter 13. They sent me instructions that said to go to the dealership, pick out a car and have them give me the buyers order with the price of the car including finance charges, the interest rate, number of payments, payment amount and finance company. Then they can put it in front of the judge and the judge will decide based on that. However, all the dealerships tell me that they cannot do that until i get the letter from the trustee saying we can incur debt. Does this seem like a tug-of-war to anyone else? I am very frustrated!! Your help would be greatly appreciated. I think I attached the letter from attorney, but I am not sure if it uploaded.

Your lawyer needs to ask your trustee for permission to go car shopping first. Then you go car shopping and get all the details about price, loan terms, etc. That depending on your local court's practices, the car and loan terms then go back to your trustee or the judge for a yes or no.

Hang in there. The court moves at its own glacial and often confusing pace, so just get your boxes checked and keep pushing through the process. There's really no way around it, so you might as well save all that frustratated energy for the car hunt which will make or break this effort. Good luck!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
      Your lawyer needs to ask your trustee for permission to go car shopping first. Then you go car shopping and get all the details about price, loan terms, etc. That depending on your local court's practices, the car and loan terms then go back to your trustee or the judge for a yes or no.

Hang in there. The court moves at its own glacial and often confusing pace, so just get your boxes checked and keep pushing through the process. There's really no way around it, so you might as well save all that frustratated energy for the car hunt which will make or break this effort. Good luck!
      I appreciate your answer. The other problem is that we already have the approval and it is only good for 30 days. However, I am sure they will approve us in 30 days if we have to reapply. I finally got Carmax to fax me a buyers order, which is what I hope we need to get this process going along with the approval package from the lender.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X