How's this for professionalism?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's this for professionalism?!

I've detailed my frustrations with my attorney in other posts. It's been suggested by more than one person that we report her to the State Bar Association for her unprofessionalism if nothing else.

Well, we've met with a second attorney who has reviewed our case. We feel comfortable with him, and he has suggested we either convert our case to a ch7 or dismiss it and refile as a 7. Converting it is more likely to attract the UST attention he said, they could very well reject a new means test and schedules, so we have decided to dismiss and refile.

I called the crummy attorney yesterday, but got her paralegal's voicemail. Left a message. Called DH and suggested he stop by the attorney's office, since she's right across the street, to leave a written message if need be. DH calls the crummy attorney first to see if she's in that office or her other office first. She picks up, he tells her we would like to dismiss our case. She actually asks WHY (because our begging and hounding for her to modify for months now isn't obvious I guess) and DH explains that the payment is just too high and we're going to be in trouble soon if we don't re-evaluate our action. She asks if we want to convert it to a 7 (gee...I thought her office said we weren't eligible for a 7, but now that we paid for the 13 they want to know if we want to convert to a 7??). DH tells her that right now we want to dismiss it and then we'll figure out the next step. (which we know is to file with a more attentive attorney). She says she'll get right on it, and then ends the call.

BUT, here's the thing.....

Just as DH was about to hang up he heard her talking, and he was about to say something because he thought maybe she was still talking to him or trying to get him from not hanging up yet. But then he realized she wasn't talking to him...she had her speaker phone on and was talking to the paralegal. So he hits mute on his end and listens.

She says "(paralegal's name) get me the problem case's file"

(Paralegal asks something, DH couldn't quite make it out)

Attorney says "No, the (our last name)'s. I really don't like that guy!"

Then she realized she hadn't hung up and finally did.

It took some restraint on DH's part to not call her back and embarass the hell out of her- he figured he wants her to get the dismissal done first. But I told him that there is no way we are not complaining to the Bar now.
    Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

WOW! Just wow.....
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Absolutely. A big Complaint is in order.
      Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
      341- April 28, 2010;
      Confirmed May 25, 2010;
      $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

The things people say as they hang up the phone or think they are on mute... is amazing. I'm figuring that this attorney likes only cookie-cutter cases and doesn't like clients who ask questions. That's a recipe for disaster.

I'm glad to hear that you're moving on.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

On the bright side, you'll never have reason to doubt your decision to go with a different attorney.
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I can't believe the restraint it took to not call her back! I would have been hopping mad!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X