top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good arguments to fight a "RV is not a reasonable and necessary expense" obj??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is exactly what people are doing. You can buy a really nice used one in great shape (because they are rarely used much), and live in them. People sometimes buy a small piece of land, put in a well and sewer and sit the RV on the property. The property taxes are low because the property is considered "unimproved", the interest is still deductible for the RV as well.

Just think, no mortgage payment...it isn't a bad idea for people without kids.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
      That is exactly what people are doing. You can buy a really nice used one in great shape (because they are rarely used much), and live in them. People sometimes buy a small piece of land, put in a well and sewer and sit the RV on the property. The property taxes are low because the property is considered "unimproved", the interest is still deductible for the RV as well.

Just think, no mortgage payment...it isn't a bad idea for people without kids.
      I wonder what it costs to install a well and septic? (I doubt you would get sewer to anyplace that is zoned for RV parking.) You also need 30 or 50 amp electrical service on that piece of dirt, unless you are going to invest in solar, or run the generator all the time.

And sometimes RVs do cost as much as a mortgage. It depends on what your tastes are. (Class A?, B?, C?, diesel?, gas?, travel trailer?, 5th wheel?)

If you get a 5th wheel or a TT, then you know darn well you are gonna have the upkeep costs of a TRUCK that has to have the towing capacity. Is that gas hog going to be your daily driver or are you going to get a second vehicle?

The only cost advantage I see, since the thing will depreciate and stands no chance of appreciating in value is the higher interest rate (due to vehicle loans are just generally higher than mortgage loan rates) is the tax deduction of the interest. Of course, if you can pay cash, this is all a moot point.

"Such a deal" requires a little more forethought than you might think.

Comment

Water well is about 2K and depends on depth, septic depends on how perk comes back, Electrical is done by the electric company. (Didn't cost me a dime when I built my house)

Prices of the RV do depend on taste, as anything however a used one can be found fairly cheap if you take the time to look.

As for moving it, if it is parked on property it would rarely be moved. The option of owning a vehicle specifically for moving it is up to you. But if it isn't moved often, that service could easily be hired out. (2.00 per mile is the general cost)

People are doing this, and doing it cheaply with the intention of living in them.
        It does however require thought and planning.
        8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
        11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

I read this with interest as we had an RV when we filed. Owed $12K crammed down to $8K and currently making payments thru the trustee. Was more than willing to give it up but it was just figured into the plan with no questions asked. Go figure.

In fact, we use ours as a guest house as we have electric/water/sewer all available. Live in the country and it was just a matter of tying into existing utilities. Gotta love rural life.
          Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

Comment

Well - I lost and the trustee's objection was sustained.

The judge cited some previous cases and totality of budget circumstances. Had we not had high cell-phone, vehicle expenses he said his decision might have been different.

Oh well, worth a try. The trustee cited my expensive truck in their argument, ironically the truck was purchased to pull the RV in question.
            19% dividend

Comment

Yeah, oh well. I guess you tried and you lost. As I mentioned before we decided to not even bother with trying to keep ours when we were in the same situation. We are saving and hope to buy a used one either later this year or next year. Hey maybe I can drive up to Ohio and go bid on yours when it gets auctioned off ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TexasEx View Post
                Yeah, oh well. I guess you tried and you lost. As I mentioned before we decided to not even bother with trying to keep ours when we were in the same situation. We are saving and hope to buy a used one either later this year or next year. Hey maybe I can drive up to Ohio and go bid on yours when it gets auctioned off ;)

haha yeah. I would only expect it to fetch $4-5000.

We thought about buying a used one for $4-5000 or offering the bank a cash settlement but now I feel like we'd be paying for 2. The storage, camping fees, gas, etc. were too much anyway. I only fought it since it would have been free to keep it since we were just taking from unsecureds anyway.
                19% dividend

Comment

Originally posted by debtinohio View Post
                  Well - I lost and the trustee's objection was sustained.
                  While it wasn't without some level of expectation, I still feel sorry that this happened. I hope that the rest of your case proceeds without any fanfare and you find your relief as quickly as possible.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    While it wasn't without some level of expectation, I still feel sorry that this happened. I hope that the rest of your case proceeds without any fanfare and you find your relief as quickly as possible.
                    JB -

Thanks for all you do for all of us on this forum, I really do appreciate all the advice. I may have been a bit harsh when I first became a forum member, this whole experience has been pretty bad and truly humbling. You and others taught us that life goes on and 'stuff' can be replaced.

I am fortunate in many ways and was allowed a lot of room in my budget. We were also allowed to keep our cars and home so we are grateful for that.

Take care!
                    19% dividend

Comment

We surrendered both the 5th wheel and the truck to pull it with. At this stage we certainly could not afford to use it and it didn't need to sit there for 5 years. If you get to keep it, that's great, do use and enjoy it.
                      Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
                      341- April 28, 2010;
                      Confirmed May 25, 2010;
                      $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X