This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 13 Fees

I was just parusing the forum but couldn't find anything recent about attorney's fees. Mine here in Miami wants $3000.00, Half up front. $274 filing, Pretty standard, but then he wants $100.00 a month for two years. Is that kosher?

I live in South Dakota and my attorney charged 1200.00. Half down and the other half in the plan. Also $274.00 filing fee.

Comment

You mean paid into your plan, or on the side? It's standard for them to put the balance of their fees into your payment plan...
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I live in PA. Mine was $ 2700.00.. I paid $ 650.00 upfront & the rest is in the plan spread out over the 5 yrs. I believe the attorney gets paid off first when the trustee starts making pmts to everyone. Not in one lump sum but get a big chunk to be paid off first. I could be wrong on that . Its been a while since I filed . Also, I dont make anymore pmts to the attorney once I paid the retainer & filing fee ($650) ...
        Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
        Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
        Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

The amount of $3,000 for a Chapter 13, with $1,500 up front along with the $299 filing fee... is about average. the $1,500 in the plan is normal too.

Remember, each person's Chapter 13 Reorganization is different. There are many factors which affect price, including, but not limited to, lien strips, cram downs, number of creditors, the District that you are in, etc. Most Districts have limits on how much an attorney can charge anyway -- known as the "no look" fee. If they exceed the "standards" the Judge might force them to reduce their fees (disgorge).
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I"m filing in PA it was $1100 first visit, $1100 2nd visit. then the court fees. Of course we did have the option to include him in our BK. We decided not too

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys. This has been hard for me and my wife, it's a comfort to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Our attorney's fee was $4500. We had to give $2500.00 to retain him, plus the filing fee of $295.00. He said the extra $2000.00 was for the lien strip, which is being put in the plan. That is if I ever get confirmed!

Comment

Southern District of IN; Paid $911.00 up front, includes filing fees; and $3,000.00 in the plan with atty. fees being a priority in the listing of creditors.
                  Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
                  341- April 28, 2010;
                  Confirmed May 25, 2010;
                  $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

These threads are fairly pointless. I am closing it.

What one person pays in some part of the country for a case you know nothing about in no way helps you. There are tons of similar posts.
                    Last edited by HHM; 03-27-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X