top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably stupid question, but I just need to know for sure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably stupid question, but I just need to know for sure...

As long as you are currently in your 13 (making payments to trustee) you are NOT discharged....correct? So, in my case, we will be done in July 2012 and after that we will be discharged...officially.

We have an issue with a rental company that we are not discharged and even though they approved our application and we have given them a deposit, they are now saying they can't work with us because we aren't discharged. We disclosed up front about the 13 and I'm sure its on our credit, so I don't know what the deal is. I think they are confusing a 13 with a 7.

Anyway, I'm going crazy with this rental thing. Find a great home, great location, great rent and then this happens. Its so important to me to have a stable and safe home for my kids that I'm going nuts. AAHH!

Originally posted by flower04 View Post
    As long as you are currently in your 13 (making payments to trustee) you are NOT discharged....correct?
    In a Chapter 13, the discharge is entered upon completion of the Plan duration, known as the applicable commitment period, or upon motion for a hardship discharge.

Originally posted by flower04 View Post
    We have an issue with a rental company that we are not discharged and even though they approved our application and we have given them a deposit, they are now saying they can't work with us because we aren't discharged. We disclosed up front about the 13 and I'm sure its on our credit, so I don't know what the deal is. I think they are confusing a 13 with a 7.
    All you need is a letter from the Trustee. I would inform them that you are allowed to incur new debt "post-petition" with the Trustee's permission.

I'd try that route... the Trustee permission route.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks. I knew the answer, but just couldn't believe that there was no way I could rent until I was discharged...when that wont be for a long while and in the meantime we need to find a place to live!!! Really, I need to get trustee permission to rent? It was figured into our budget. I guess I will do what needs to be done, it just seems overkill to go that route.

This rental was from an individual we found on craigslist and then he decided to use a property management company after moving out of the area. That is where the discrepency is, even though he said he told them he had already signed paperwork with us.

So frustrating!!

Comment

You don't need the Trustee's permission, but it helps when dealing with a stubborn creditor. That's why many car lenders require a letter from the Trustee... just to make sure.

I would line up your ducks. I'd get the Trustee letter and get a letter from the Owner as well. Then submit back to the "management" company.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X