top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if I accidentally charged to a credit card when I'm planning on filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if I accidentally charged to a credit card when I'm planning on filing?

I thought I had my Paypal acct set up to pull from our checking acct when I used my debit card and it went over the balance in the Paypal acct. But, it pulled from my Paypal credit card instead. I have fixed it now, but they called today and I gave them my atty's number and she asked if I realized the card had just been used. Um, no. So, what's that going to do to us? Do you have to not use your credit for a certain time period before you can file?

I HATE how PayPal does that! I had a similar thing happen, although prior to filing.

You will need to be able to explain this to your trustee, and will probably not be able to discharge that debt.

How much was it and what was it for?

Comment

If it happened AFTER filing, you will probably need to pay it.

If it happened BEFORE filing, as long as it was not extravagant it should not be a problem. But adjust your funding methods for future reference.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

It was only about $130, so not a major deal. As long as it doesn't delay our filing or disqualify the ENTIRE debt on that card, I am okay.

Comment

same thing happened to be (but on an amex) for about $300; lawyer said no problem because it wasn't luxury and was under $600. If there was an obejection - all we would be responsible for is that charge, not the whole balance of the account.
          We're planning on filing in a few weeks.

Comment

I used a credit card after filing. I thought that I could keep the card, but they closed the account about 2 weeks after filing. They never complained about the charges.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I had no problems with any of this and I had a ton of charges in the 30-90 days prior to filing. It was the only way to be able to live, we had no other money.
              19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X