They called my mother!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They called my mother!!!

Ok..I am beyond furious!!! I just got a call from my mother, this poor senior citizen lady who is just about in tears asking why the credit union is looking for me?! WTH!! I thought it was illegal for them to contact someone about my debts? I was so ticked off....I have called the credit union & let them know & I have called my attorney....so what recourse do i have here? I keep my parents out of all my financial business so they know nothing & needless to say she is a nosy busy body anyhow, so this will NOT be good....I don't even know how they got her info....Ugghhh!

Originally posted by julsmom View Post
    Ok..I am beyond furious!!! I just got a call from my mother, this poor senior citizen lady who is just about in tears asking why the credit union is looking for me?! WTH!! I thought it was illegal for them to contact someone about my debts? I was so ticked off....I have called the credit union & let them know & I have called my attorney....so what recourse do i have here? I keep my parents out of all my financial business so they know nothing & needless to say she is a nosy busy body anyhow, so this will NOT be good....I don't even know how they got her info....Ugghhh!
    If I'm not mistaken, you haven't filed yet.

They can contact anyone about your debt, they just can't discuss the debt with them.

Edited to add: If you have filed then most certainly get your attorney involved with putting
    a stop to their phone calls.
    Last edited by newbie2; 04-29-2010, 10:58 AM.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

They can contact others to attempt to 'locate' you. If you are in contact with them, there is no need to 'locate' you so they should not be calling around.

When you originally opened an account/applied for credit you probably had to give 'closest relative' type information. They could have her # that way.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Before we filed dirtbag Discover did this to me. Called my 70 year old mom (it was actually for my wife's card). They had already "located" us and we had spoken with them several times.

Unfortunately, all perfectly legal.

Few things suck worse than a credit card company calling your mom! Makes me feel like I am 12 years old... Even worse, it was right around Christmas time, so we saw each other a bunch around the time it happened. Yuck.

Comment

My parents, neighbors, brother, sister, ex-wife all received calls.
          19% dividend

Comment

Yep. Happening here too. Sears, American Express and Chase are the culprits. They have even spoken with us and I have made sure they have 2 contact phone numbers and our address correct. Yet, they still tried calling the IL's.

Comment

Oh, this brings back memories!

Back in 2005, Citifinancial used to call my 85 YO MIL if my husband was even so much as 1 (yes one) day late.

Despite the fact that they knew how to reach us, and that they had a valid number for us.

They would call and leave a message during the day (while we were working), and then call my MIL and get her all wound up. Their excuse was "we couldn't reach you". Well.........DUH........ we were at work.

I had the last laugh on Citifinancial. We filed a 13, and they submitted their claim AFTER the deadline. I brought this to the trustees attention, and he filed a motion to deny their claim, and the judge agreed!!!!!

Justice is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't make one bit of difference in our payments, it just meant other unsecureds got the share they would have. But it was more priceless to me that any amount of money ever could have been!
              You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Originally posted by julsmom View Post
                When you apply for any credit, you are specifically asked to provide the name and contact informatoin for one or more relatives that do not live with you. That is why they called your mother; if you read all the clauses in the agreement you signed when you obtained the credit, you allowed them to do that. The next time you apply for credit, read all the informatoin that comes with the card. If everyone did, many would not sign.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Toyota financial called my NEIGHBORS supposedly looking for me. I have lived in the same house for 22 years. It is plain and simple harrassment, but it seems they seem they can do anything they want.
                  Filed Chapter 13 on 3-31-10. 341 completed 5/20/10
                  $2900+ a month 0% payback to unsecured creditors
                  Discharged 6/30/2015

Comment

Now that's impressive...how did they get your neighbors' number...?

Is it me or is this one crossing the fine legal line?
                    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

I believe they used a reverse directory or something to find out my neighbors number. Can't figure out how they would have gotten it any other way.

Toyota Financial is horrible about harrassing. They will call 8 times a day and call anyone and everyone they think might know you.
                      Filed Chapter 13 on 3-31-10. 341 completed 5/20/10
                      $2900+ a month 0% payback to unsecured creditors
                      Discharged 6/30/2015

Comment

So long as they don't discuss the details of why they are calling with your neighbor, it is still legal.

Although little is left to the imagination when a car finance company calls and says they need to "discuss a matter with your neighbor's account". It typically ain't a good thing. It pretty much tells your neighbor the whole story without even giving a single detail. Pretty sleazy.

Spend some time reading the posts on the "Collections" section of this forum and you will see how big of low lifes some creditors can be.

Comment

Remember, when you signed for the credit, you allowed them to contact others to get ahold of you if they cannot contact you. To avoid that from happening, answer the phone so they know you are reachable at your number and address. What they are trying to do is collect money owed them; if you put yourself in their place, you would do the same if someone owed you several thousand dollars or so and stopped paying...looking at it in that perspective makes one take a different view of the situation and eliminates anything personal. It's all business.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I don`t want any family members to know that we are planning on bk and thats why we are still paying our c.cs.I remember very well that citifinanicial made us list like 6 relatives or friends when we took out a loan.Its humiliating enough to have to do it ,let alone let everyone know we are doing it. When I read posts and see some people haven`t paid in months and months I wonder how they have not had their wages garnished or all their friends and family contacted. Do they just tell the c.cs they don`t have the money right now or what? ...We will be talking to an attorney tomorrow to see what chapter we will have to file..................

Comment

Originally posted by owoody View Post
                              I don`t want any family members to know that we are planning on bk and thats why we are still paying our c.cs.I remember very well that citifinanicial made us list like 6 relatives or friends when we took out a loan.Its humiliating enough to have to do it ,let alone let everyone know we are doing it. When I read posts and see some people haven`t paid in months and months I wonder how they have not had their wages garnished or all their friends and family contacted. Do they just tell the c.cs they don`t have the money right now or what? ...We will be talking to an attorney tomorrow to see what chapter we will have to file..................
                              I'm contemplating staying current on mine as well. The mortgage - we have no chance of continuing to pay, so not an option. But without that, we can actually afford the credit card payments, and if it buys us some extra peace in this stressful situation, so be it. Although we ARE telling our parents soon - we're surrendering our home, so we have no option but to inform them of what's going on.
                              04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X