top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I sell items on ebay and keep the cash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I sell items on ebay and keep the cash?

Does anyone know if once you file, can you make a little extra $ by selling on ebay? I've sold items in the past. I usually can make around $50.00 per month. Some months I make nothing, but then there will be a month were I might make $200/$300.00. I don't sell something every month, so this is never a sure thing.
    I'm just looking for a way to pull in extra cash for my kids birthdays and Christmas gifts. If I have to turn the money over then I'll definitely quit selling.
    Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

What you are asking has been asked many times. Like a yard sale or garage sale, these are mere pennies to a Trustee. If you start to make big money over $600 a crack, then you may have to alert your Trustee to your success. What you quoted he would not even care to hear. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

As long as what you are selling is NOT property of the estate, then you should be fine. Make sure you closely keep track of what you sell to ensure you can defend any allegations by the trustee that you're selling estate property.

--William
      I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
      As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

Please do a thorough search on this subject in the forums - it has been discussed heavily. If you are selling items like used clothing that your kids have outgrown or similar items, you have no worries. If you are making items like jewelry or any other goods, it could be construed that you have a side job selling on ebay. $50 per month is $50 you did not list as income on your forms for filing. So $50 each month or whatever you bring in is disposable income. And then there are months you state you make more. To be on the safe side, please check with your attorney who knows your finances/case the best and take it from there.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thank you all! Yes, it is just clothing. I LOVE to shop thrift stores. On a good day I'll find a pair of designer jeans or like last week--I found a Nike tennis dress-I paid $3.00 for it and today it sold on ebay for $75.50. It's just never a sure thing. Looking for good items in the thrift store can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by sheilaE View Post
            Thank you all! Yes, it is just clothing. I LOVE to shop thrift stores. On a good day I'll find a pair of designer jeans or like last week--I found a Nike tennis dress-I paid $3.00 for it and today it sold on ebay for $75.50. It's just never a sure thing. Looking for good items in the thrift store can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
            Thanks again.

Please note I said "If you are selling items like used clothing that your kids have outgrown or similar items...", these are items that you previously paid for to wear, have used, and are selling on ebay as many folks do instead of having garage sales. You usually don't make a profit but get something for them. If you go shopping for items, purchase them, and then resell them for a profit on ebay, would that be considered a side job or business by your trustee as you are making money? Please speak with your attorney before you make any assumptions. Granted it's not a huge amount of money, but why take the chance of jeopardizing your Chapter 13....

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Good point! Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I've also been selling clothes the kids have out grown. I usually don't make much on that, but yes, I will definitely check on both.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X