Purchasing a Car in Open 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing a Car in Open 13

We are in a 5 year Chapter 13 repayment plan. The car that I currently drive is on it's last leg. I have been calling and visiting numerous dealerships in an attempt to trade in my vehicle and purchase a new or used vehicle.

In all of my attempts, every dealership is telling me that they will not be able to get me approved even with a letter to incur debt from the trustee. I have been searching the internet for subprime lenders and lenders that work with people with an open 13 for an auto loan and still no luck.

Is there anyone located in the Chicagoland area or anyone in that case that can point me in the right direction to a dealer that works with people in an open 13 or even a lender that works with people in our situation?

Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your help.

Your attorney can probably give you a few leads inasmuch he/she deals with that a lot.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

My attorney is of no help. He said to just call around and find a dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by jpakman2 View Post
        My attorney is of no help. He said to just call around and find a dealer.
        Mine had a listing of BK friendly car dealerships and brokers for refinancing that he worked with previously as to his clients... I am surprised your attorney can't make a few phone calls to his colleagues and friends. Anyway, there are dealerships who advertise if they will work with people with bad credit/bankruptcy. You will eventually find one but you may be facing very high interest rates and/or fees. You will probably have more luck with a used vehicle than new and I would go with the cheapest best running thing possible to get you through your 13 and then when things are better trade it in and get something better when it is all behind you. A successful, all payments made on time Chapter 13 works in your favor at that time.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Have you tried Roadloans? You will pay fees and a high interest rate, but they work with people in BK. That's who I ended up going through for my new car.
          Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
          341 meeting - 4/2010
          Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

We had to go with a private seller, not a dealership. I know that can be difficult if you don't have the cash up front. My attorney was zero help too. He basically told me, too bad, so sad - not the courts problem and I just have to figure it out myself. But, we did end up having many garage sales and selling on ebay and raised some cash. Found a nice private seller who would take a down payment and hold it for us till we came up with the rest. It's a lot of scrambling around and working overtime, but gotta do what you gotta do...

Comment

If you have a Carmax in your area try them. I got a 2006 Ford F150 through Santander Finance Corp. by going through Carmax. I had no problems at all. Good Luck!
              Chapt. 13 Petition Filed 9/29/07
              Case Confirmed 12/10/07
              59 mos done 1 payment to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X