Vehicle value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle value

OK, before the search police come pounding down, I did.

So question, how does the court evaluate the value of the car? KNN? Average sale?
    California Chapter 13

I have seen anything from go to carmax and see what they offer, KBB middle price, and my lawyer says KBB high price just to be safe. I think it depends on your trustee and district. Wish I knew the answer.

Comment

It also depends on whether the car is in excellent, good or fair condition. Also if you own the car and have a salvage rebuilt title can make a difference.

Take for example if you own a 1995 BMW 3 series in fair condition with 250,000 miles you may be only able to sell it for 1400 dollars. With a salvage rebuilt title you could only get about 800-1000 for the car.
      Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
      341 meeting on 5/28/2010
      Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Here, the courts have set a "rule of thumb", the retail value of the car, less 10% to reflect the cost of making salable.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

How the car will be valued when you file bk is a custom of each individual court. There's no consistency across the country. You'll need to ask your lawyer or during your free initial consultations how cars are valued in your local court.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget