top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone got a secured credit card during ch 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone got a secured credit card during ch 13?

Yes I am already thinking of getting a credit card.....we were thinking of getting a $500 secured card thru our bank....not even sure if they would approve it.

We have no intention of spending...its really for travel. My DH travels a lot for work and I am worried about car rentals, hotel holds, and using a debit card in foreign countries...like China and...not even sure a $500 card would work for a car rental????

He DOES have a company card...but sometimes there are personal costs too...so...

what do you guys think?

ps...anyone know a car rental company that allows debit?? thanks

Filed July 09
    Confirmation - June 2010
    Final Payment - June 2014 - 7/2/14 DISCHARGED

What did your trustee say about getting a card?

If you're not planning on spending on it - and using it just for travel (car rentals, hold hotels, etc) - you can use a debit card for that purpose and pay with cash when you get there.

Doesnt he get a per diem when he travels - especially if his company supplies him with a company card?

Comment

Trustee didn't say anything that I know of???

Not all car companies will rent with a debit...I think only one or two do. Does paying cash mean they don't put a hold on your card??

Hotels and car companies put holds on your card when you travel as well...that could be an issue for our debit card/cash. We are going to pay cash for any trip stuff...but its the HOLDS that these places put on your card that concern me not really the money...we can afford the costs...that is not the issue...it's a $1000 hold on my debit card from a car or hotel company this is the issue. I never even thought of this stuff when I had credit cards....now this is coming up...and I have read about car rental problems on other boards.

DH has a company card...but sometimes he does spend personal money on trips...food or souveniers...and I am not crazy about him using our debit card in rural China. His last trip to China we still had credit cards....

PLUS we will need to rent a car for some things next year...so worried about how we will do that....

Filed July 09
      Confirmation - June 2010

Comment

Originally posted by indebt00 View Post
        Trustee didn't say anything that I know of???

Does he even know that you are planning it?

Comment

You should seek Trustee approval because it is a credit product. Some Districts do allow the debtor to incur debt up to $5K without permission of the Trustee. You'll need to read your order confirming your plan or speak with your attorney (if you filed with one).
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by mrskal View Post
            Does he even know that you are planning it?
            not planning on it...just thinking and asking for thoughts

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            You should seek Trustee approval because it is a credit product. Some Districts do allow the debtor to incur debt up to $5K without permission of the Trustee. You'll need to read your order confirming your plan or speak with your attorney (if you filed with one).
            is obtaining a credit card the same as incurring debt? I am not going to do anything to go against my Trustee's rules.

my order does not say anything about incurring debt...absolutely nothing.

I will ask my attorney down the road....again...just thinking out loud here not doing anything yet

Filed July 09
            Confirmation - June 2010

Comment

Originally posted by indebt00 View Post
              is obtaining a credit card the same as incurring debt? I am not going to do anything to go against my Trustee's rules.
              By definition, yes! Just ask your attorney if you're allowed to incur debt during the life of your Chapter 13, just to make sure.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                By definition, yes! Just ask your attorney if you're allowed to incur debt during the life of your Chapter 13, just to make sure.
                ok..thanks I will.

I also read that I can use a debit card to rent cars thru Enterprise and if I Have an airline ticket...Hertz and National...so...hope that helps if anyone else needs to know

so no worries on the credit card now

Filed July 09
                Confirmation - June 2010

Comment

I have used a debit cards to rent Hertz vehicles on numerous occasions. Of course, I think it helps to be a Hertz #1 Club Gold member... since you bypass the counter.

Comment

We do have Hertz Gold card so I will remember that too.

Enterprise sounds like they do the smallest "holds" on your account so that is helpful too

Filed July 09
                    Confirmation - June 2010

Comment

I just used Hertz this weekend on a debit card. The actual total rental was $67.00 and they held a total of $197.00 (representing a $130 extra hold). I don't know how they calculate the "extra" hold. It used to be a $200 hold on top of the total estimated charges.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X