Chap 13 Attorney Cost & Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chap 13 Attorney Cost & Agreement

I may not pass the means test for a 7, which I am trying to do myself so I may have to hire an attorney to do a 13 for me.

Does anyone have experience on how much it would cost for an attorney in southern california?

Also, what should I look for in the attorney client agreement as far as what the attorney will actually be doing for the fee?

Thank you.

Cost me 5400 with a 1000 going in the plan. In so cal.

Comment

Originally posted by jmac View Post
      Cost me 5400 with a 1000 going in the plan. In so cal.
      In NorCal I'm paying $6,300 which includes $1,500 for a lien strip. I paid a $1,500 retainer with the rest in the plan.

I could have found someone who'd do it for less, but this is not a time to bargain hunt.

The court up here requires the debtor and attorney to sign a document called "Rights and Responsibilities of Chapter 13 Debtors and Their Attorneys." It goes into more detail of the services the attorney should provide than my fee agreement did. It seems like a good guide to what the fee should cover:

LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by Protected View Post
        I may not pass the means test for a 7, which I am trying to do myself so I may have to hire an attorney to do a 13 for me.

Does anyone have experience on how much it would cost for an attorney in southern california?

Also, what should I look for in the attorney client agreement as far as what the attorney will actually be doing for the fee?

Thank you.
        I'm in So Cal. I paid 3,300. The atty is a one-man shop (woman in this case) and does only bankruptcy. I didn't want a firm that specialized in multiple things because this is too important.

I also got provided a document similar to the one mentioned above which outlines what my responsibilities are as the debtor and the attorney's responsibilities. It also includes fee information for services you need above and beyond the basic services.

Comment

My wife and I paid $3500 including the lien strip in so cal. What part of so cal are you in? The cost of a typical consumer CH13 cost is set by the local court. Anything above and beyond that basic cost must be justified and approved by the court.

When I was looking for a lawyer I found anywhere from $3500 to $4000, this is in the Inland Empire area (CA Central Dist, Riverside Court).

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

As far as the court it would be Riverside District. I am going to go ahead and hire a lawyer because I really want a chapter 7 and I don't want to mess up the means test, because it looks really close.

Did any of you originally hire an attorney thinking that you would get a chapter, but due to the facts of the case you had to pursue a 13?

Comment

My lawyer actually recommended a CH7 and claimed he was able to pull it off... I was stuck in the mindset of stripping the 2nd and paying off some back property taxes. I wish I would have listened to them and that they had told me what I should have seen on my own. I could have discharged my debts in a CH7 and then I could have tried to buy out the lien on the second. I also could have paid my back taxes now being debt free.. oh well, live and learn

Comment

I'm in the same district as you (Riverside). I have the same lawyer as walktheplank and I paid $4000 for a chapter 13 with a lien strip...... Which just happens to be what the court currently allows.
                It's a supply and demand issue...Check out a few lawyers before you make a decision.
                Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by vicmost View Post
                  I'm in the same district as you (Riverside). I have the same lawyer as walktheplank and I paid $4000 for a chapter 13 with a lien strip...... Which just happens to be what the court currently allows.
                  It's a supply and demand issue...Check out a few lawyers before you make a decision.
                  Thanks again for all the replies...

How much did they ask for you to pay up front?

Thanks

Comment

My lawyer took the entire fee up front, others I interviewed would have taken a certain amount up front and the remainder in the plan. It really is whatever you work out with your lawyer.

Comment

Why do you think you won't pass the means test? Do you suspect your income is too high?

I am the assistant to the attorney at [removed atty name] our fee for a Chapter 13 is always $4000 + $274 filing fee by the court. Included in that is the credit counseling (before AND after filing), credit report (required due diligence by the attorney) and consultations. I make a note of separately listing the filing fee. Those are the fees that you can get added on at any point during the process. Also included is the attorney showing up at court, phone calls, meetings with the paralegal, and basically anything else. That's us at least. Make sure to ask any other place if those things are included in the quoted cost.

[removed phone #)
                      Last edited by HHM; 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X