top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can my car lease be converted to a buy during chapter 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can my car lease be converted to a buy during chapter 13?

i really want to keep my leased car and have 10 months left. i need a car to get to and from work. can i have the lease converted during chapt 13?

Only if you can get a loan to pay it off or convince the finance company to give you a loan to buy it out. There is no direct conversion option in a 13.

You have pretty much 0 chance in getting the current finance company to finance a buyout. Look for alternative financing to buy it.
    19% dividend

Comment

Originally posted by bmw13 View Post
      i really want to keep my leased car and have 10 months left. i need a car to get to and from work. can i have the lease converted during chapt 13?
      You need your Ch 13 trustee's permission to take on new debt during an active Ch 13. Talk to your lawyer to see how your trustee has reacted before when approached to convert a lease.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Are you in an active ch13 right now, or are you just getting ready to file?
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

i'm getting ready to file 13. if i have to turn the car back in, i need an alternative option to getting another car. i have a friend who is willing to sell my a used car and take payments, but not sure how that will play into this. any advice or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Finance a new car and then surrender the lease in the bankruptcy. You just need to keep the new car payment below $496/mo. The rate doesn't really matter since it will be reduced to the til rate when you file.
            Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
            0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X