Recent Supreme Court Case Decision - Impacts Debtors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent Supreme Court Case Decision - Impacts Debtors

I just read the entire Supreme Court case of a debtor, Stephanie Kay Lanning, that was decided by the Court on June 7 of this year.

I then read another case of a debtor named David Andrew Darrohn, decided in the US Court of Appeals - 6th District (California) on July 22.

Both of these cases will lead to HUGE impacts on how Courts decide what is included on Schedules I & J (but have no impact on the Means Test.)

Here is the summary if you do not want to read them in full.

UNDERSTAND I AM NOT A LAWYER AND THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!

--------------------------------

MEANS TEST
    As I mentioned above, there is no mention of changes to the Means Test. Remember, the Means Test has a simple function. It determines using a formula if there is a Presumption of Abuse for Chapter 7 cases.

The Court makes their ultimate decision based on what is found in Schedules I (income) and J (expenses).

SCHEDULE I - INCOME
    The Lanning case was one where Ms. Lanning received a one-time bonus in the last 6 months prior to filing. The Trustee wanted her to include this as income on her Schedule I. The Court disagreed and said that income is actually "projected income." Just because she received a one-time windfall, the Court decided she should not have to include that in her "projected income" because there was no basis that she would ever receive that bonus again. This helped out Ms. Lanning and significantly reduced the amount she had to pay in her Chapter 13. Note here that her Means Test (past 6 month average) income and her Schedule I (projected) income ended up to be very, very different.

In the Darrohn case, he had a job paying $100k+ and lost the job and was unemployed for 90 days during the 6 months prior to filing. This made his income for the Means Test come to $4,300/mo - which was fine with the Court. However, he took a new job paying $6,900/mo before the plan was confirmed. The Trustee argued that due to the Lanning case, the Court should use his projected income ($6,900/mo) because it was known and virtually certain this would be his income going forward. The Court agreed and the $6,900/mo income figure was used.

SCHEDULE J - EXPENSES

In the Darrohn case, he had listed on his Means Test a $2,700 monthly mortgage payment for a home that he was surrendering. (Note: Other court decisions have been OK with this expense being on the Means Test.) The Court of Appeals did not overturn this. However, Mr. Darrohn also had this listed as an expense on Schedule J. The Court, again citing the Lanning case, did not allow him to include that as a projected expense because it was clear that it would no longer be an expense since he was surrendering the property.

This also meant that his Means Test expenses and his Schedule J expense were significantly different.

SUMMARY
    You can quickly see that Mr. Darrohn is in for a brutal Chapter 13 with some very high payments he likely was not counting on when he filed.

On the flip side, Ms. Lanning was able to significantly reduce her Chapter 13 plan payments.

The key in both decisions is that projected income is NOT what the courts calls a "mechanical" formula, but is based upon what is reasonably known at the time the bankruptcy plan (7 or 13) is confirmed.

There have been many threads about getting a job before the 341 hearing. I think this case decision makes it rather clear about the potential impact to a 7 or 13.

Hope this helps everyone. Good luck with your situation!
    Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

Awesome post gman!
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

One other thing I just though about in regards to these decisions.

The Means Test is all about looking back on the day you file.

Schedules I and J are all about looking forward on the day the plan is confirmed.

If your projected income OR expenses go higher OR lower before the plan is confirmed (not the day you filed as many of us previously believed), the Court can take this change into effect. This cuts both ways! This is why you are asked at a 341 hearing if you have a new job!

I am assuming that if someone has a drop in income or increased expenses between filing and your 341 hearing that are certain and can be validated, it is in your best interest to bring them up at the 341 (and/or amend your petition!!!)

Hope this helps!

In the Lanning case it helped her. In the Darrohn case, it hurt him.
      Over Median Income - 10/04/10--Filed Pro Se Chap 7/ No Assets 11/10/10--341 Held 01/18/11-- No Distribution/No Funds 01/19/11--Not subject to dismissal under 521(i)(1) AND --Reaffirmation Hearing Held = APPROVED 02/10/11--Discharged

Comment

This answers my question about having a new job before filing and if it ok for the means test and schedules I/J to be significantly different. I was worried that a 3k difference (I/J is 3k+ over means test numbers) would look wrong even though we are still under means.

Gman- Thank you for posting not only the full decisions but also the quick and clear summaries!
        I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine View Post
          This answers my question about having a new job before filing and if it ok for the means test and schedules I/J to be significantly different. I was worried that a 3k difference (I/J is 3k+ over means test numbers) would look wrong even though we are still under means.

Gman- Thank you for posting not only the full decisions but also the quick and clear summaries!
          I am not sure this helps you. If you just got a job before filing BK, and the "projected" income from that job will allow you to fund a chapter 13, the US Trustee will object and force you into chapter 13.

The bottom line on Lanning

1. Future disposable income is what counts in chapter 13. But it's a double edged sword, if your income will be lower than what means test shows, this helps, if your income would be higher than what means test shows, this hurts.
          2. If you are an over median chapter 13, 60 month plan
          3. If you are over median, but have no disposable income on B22(c) (the means test), you are still a 60 month plan. (this was a big change).
          4. If you are under median but still file chapter 13, then you can opt for 36 month plan.
          Last edited by HHM; 08-27-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
            I am not sure this helps you. If you just got a job before filing BK, and the "projected" income from that job will allow you to fund a chapter 13, the US Trustee will object and force you into chapter 13.

The bottom line on Lanning

1. Future disposable income is what counts in chapter 13. But it's a double edged sword, if you income will be lower than what means test shows, this helps, if your income would be higher than what means test shows, this hurts.
            2. If you are an over median chapter 13, 60 month plan
            3. If you are over median, but have no disposable income on B22(c) (the means test), you are still a 60 month plan. (this was a big change).
            4. If you are under median but still file chapter 13, then you can opt for 36 month plan.
            In both cases, the courts made a point that the issue is related to both projected income and projected expenses.

It is both of these that have an impact on projected disposable monthly income.

In both cases, they further made the point that the projected income and projected expenses are to be seen on the day the plan is confirmed (and not the date the plan is filed.)

I think debtors should expect that the more aggressive trustees will start to investigate upward changes in income and downward changes in expenses at 341 hearings.

On the flip side, more aggressive debtors should do the opposite: make the case for decreased income and/or increased expenses at their 341 (assuming the increases/decreases exist.)

It is truly a double-edged sword - so use it wisely!

Comment

Originally posted by Maine View Post

The new job could very well push you into a Chapter 13.

Is this what you are expecting?

Comment

I'll add one thing, based on my current experience.

The Trustee objected to my plan because she said I wasn't paying enough, based on the 6 month 'look back' means test.

My ex and an attorney objected to my plan because they said I had NO income and thus couldn't fund it.

The truth is that I committed to my monthly payments based on the look back (90k of annual income) using my retirement monies (which are allowable income) ...but no body seems to care.

Comment

HAMILTON v. LANNING
                  Opinion of the Court
                  We granted certiorari to decide how a bankruptcy court should calculate a debtor’s “projected disposable income.”Some lower courts have taken what the parties term the “mechanical approach,” while most have adopted what hasbeen called the “forward-looking approach.” We hold that the “forward-looking approach” is correct.

this is so scary....once again chapter 13 WAS and is designed by BANKS and ATTY's making big bucks off of one's heartaches and hard times.

the forward looking approach is too much for me to have ever lived with. interesting about the fact that some of the "lower" courts took another approach...or different approach.

as usually gman...EXCELLENT thread!
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X