Oh Lordy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Lordy

Well, we were hoping to be able to get through the Chapter 13 without having to get another car. Stupid to not think of that prior to filing. We are 8.5 months since filing. We had talked to the attorney about buying a newer car. Van will be paid off next June. Said we could replace that payment for a new payment of equal or lesser value.

All of that information was prior to finding this site.

Well, hubby just called from the side of the road. He drives 110miles/day. Car's alternator crapped out. We believe there are other issues with the car also. We paid $1100 in May to get it to pass inspection. The car now has 180,000 miles.

Now what???? He has a coworker picking him up. He isn't far from work. Insurance has a towing policy on it.

Our credit was trashed prior to filing. So, it is still trashed.

I don't even think anyone will talk to us in order to get a new to us car. I know I will have to contact the attorney who then goes to the trustee to ask for the ability to incur debt.

Got a call from hubby. Without mechanic looking at it...$1000 for the alternator. There is rust all over the driveway, from where the car sits. So, we think the water pump is going up too.
    Chapter 13 filed: 1/22/10341 Meeting: 3/18/10
    Confirmation Hearing 6/23/10...CONFIRMED27 down 33 to go

You can check Roadloans.com - I know a few here have posted about getting financing in ch. 13. Would ultimately need trustee approval to be able to use the voucher however.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Actually, being in a Chapter 13, your credit is usually not as bad as you think. Some lenders will lend to Chapter 13 debtors while they are in plan, so long as they have a good payment history and Trustee approval.

It won't be easy finding financing but it can be done. If your pre-filing credit history with financing cars is pretty solid, that should make it easier. Your interest rate will probably be atrocious though, but that goes with the territory.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

He should go to Autozone or some other parts place and hang out for a bit. Maybe he can find a shade tree mechanic to replace that alternator cheaper instead of a pricey shop, or just google it and see if he can replace it himself. The employees at those places are usually pretty supportive for do-it-yourselfers. I am not a mechanic but when our washing machine took a dive a few weeks ago I had to dive in and figure it out. I just googled the make and model, along with the problem and grabbed my tools. We couldnt afford a repairman, and needed our clothes washed. Quite frankly I am a bit of a "tough guy", but I must admit I was scared to death of tackling that washing machine. Turns out the big scary job was a pretty simple affair.

Now I have no idea about changing out a water pump or alternator, but at least see what your capable of before throwing in the towel. You might just surprise yourself.
        03/25/10: filed BK13, 05/05/10: 341 completed,
        06/24/10: confirmed (7% to unsecured)

Comment

A new alternator is $200 or less with trade-in core and installing an alternator is very straight forward.

Comment

We are getting ready to file Chapter 13 and are debating getting a new car. I'm pretty sure it will happen, but playing phone tag with the attorney to find out what we should do. Again, this is prior to filing.

We were approved for $21,000 via Roadloans. And our credit is God-Awful. Take my word for it. Not paying on cc's for the past 16 months will do that to you!
            Filed: 11/10; 341: 1/11; Confirmed: 2/11
            49 payments down, 11 to go...

Comment

It isn't just the alternator. :-( It is that, water pump, timing belt, front end struts.

We can't keep nursing the car along. We just put $1000 in May and now all this.

Car has been towed home at the grand price of $160. We are at 1 car right now and will stay that way until we have time to sit down and think about what to do.
              Chapter 13 filed: 1/22/10341 Meeting: 3/18/10
              Confirmation Hearing 6/23/10...CONFIRMED27 down 33 to go

Comment

Originally posted by UpMyScore View Post
                A new alternator is $200 or less with trade-in core and installing an alternator is very straight forward.
                I agree - quite an easy repair that I have done numerous times.
                19% dividend

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X