top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I be stuck with deficiency after filing bk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I be stuck with deficiency after filing bk?

Hi i have a question for a friend. We filed ch7 in 08 so i do not know the answer for this. She has seen an attorney and they are about 20k above median so attorney said a 13. The attorney also told them if they file a 13 when they surrender their house that the mortgage co. can petition the court and make them pay back the difference in what the house sold for, is this true?

In response to:

"The attorney also told them if they file a 13 when they surrender their house that the mortgage co. can petition the court and make them pay back the difference in what the house sold for, is this true? "

Not exactly. The lender has a right to file a secured Proof of Claim. Once the property has been "sold", the lender has a right to amend the Proof of Claim, changing it from secured to unsecured, for the deficiency balance (unless there is an applicable anti-deficiency statute in your state). The lender is now an unsecured creditor and shares in whatever "pie" has been set up for all unsecured creditors.

Comment

Thank you desprit!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X