Going back to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to school

My husband is going back to school for his Masters degree. We are current with our ch.13 payments and have never missed one. I plan to work extra to pay for my husbands classes. Has anyone gone back to school while in ch.13 and if so how did you financially do it?

It would be nice if someone was in this situation because I would like some feedback on this too. ANYONE? Thanks!!!

Comment

Yes, we've had members who have gone back to school during an active Ch 13. Try searching and a visit to the STudent Loans forum to find some personal stories.

If your payback isn't 100% and you haven't discussed this with your lawyer yet, I strongly suggest you do so before accepting a job. Some Ch 13 trustees state clearly that you are to notify them about *any* increase in family income (hopefully yours isn't one of those). I would hate for you to go to work to help your husband and then have your trustee get in the middle of that after the fact asking for the extra income to pay more back to your creditors.

Your lawyer should know if taking on an extra job and increasing your family income so your husband can return to school will be an issue with your trustee or not. Hope everything turns out in your favor!
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I am in a Master's Program right now and I am receiving student loans. My school is aware of the bankruptcy, and they looked into it, and told me that I was still eligible for student loans. If I wasn't I wouldn't be able to attend school. You need to speak with the financial aid dept of the college he is planning on attending. They will be able to tell you the answer.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X