HUGE medical bilsl during Chpt. 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUGE medical bilsl during Chpt. 13

We just found out my daughter who is 8 will have to have a MAJOR surgery. We will have to go to the Children's Hospital in Utah for this. I don't know what to do. Besides the HUGE bills that are already coming in I have no money to travel or spare money to eat on. We will have to be there for at least 2 weeks. Should I contact my lawyer now or after the surgery and all the bills come in?

First, I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is having such severe health problems. I hope and pray everything will turn out well for her.

You need to contact your lawyer immediately. Discuss if it makes sense in this horrible situation to voluntarily dismiss your 13, wait for the surgery to happen and the medical and surgical bills to come in, then refile the 13.

Also contact your daughter's physicians and the hospital's social services department immediately. Explain the difficult financial situation you are in. Many children's hospitals have Ronald McDonald houses or other close-by locations where you can stay for free or at greatly reduced prices. Also some hospitals have local supporters who have rooms in their homes available for hardship cases like yours to stay for free. You won't know unless you ask.

Once you ask for help, amazing things can happen. People's generosity when children are involved in financial hardship cases like yours is deep and wide. I know because I've been a pediatric and neonatal ICU nurse in several children's hospitals in the midwest for over 20 years. We always found a way to help families who desperately needed it.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thank You. What would it entail to voluntary dismiss? We are half way done and would hate to have to start all over again. I did contact the Ronald McDonald House. Thay said we would qualify and it would depend if there wasan opening during our stay. We live 13 1/2 hours away. Still am stresses about how we will even pay to get there. It is just so stressful. And then to add finance stresses on top is extremely hard.

Comment

I would talk to my lawyer. When we saw a lawyer last week for a prelim. consultation she mentioned that people can put their Ch 13 on hold for a month or two during the plan. She had a term for this, but I can't remember what it was. I am so sorry about your daughter.

Comment

I am so sorry about your daugther, and I hope the surgery goes well for her and her recovery is well. It will be wonderful to have your family there together, & the Ronald McDonald House will hopefully be able to make that happen for you. I agreed with the poster that said to contact the atty now, explain the situation as you may be able to not pay for 1-2 months during all this & the hospitals are usually very good about trying to work out a payment arrangement or something with you. Most are also very charity driven and will help in that aspect. Best of luck to you.

Comment

About getting there. Check out http://www.angelflight.com/ a group of private pilots that have banded together to provide transportation for patients and families in your situation.
            Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

Comment

So sorry to hear about your child - my thoughts are with you and yours. Your daughter will come through with flying colors on angels wings to be certain!

I just wanted to say that the Ronald McDonald house is amazing. If you can afford to pay - you pay something - if you cannot, you needn't worry. Meals are provided to you as well and are usually done by locals who come in to assist. We had to stay at one for about a week when our daughter was about 3 weeks old and it was just past Christmas, the staff was excellent and even provided her with a handmade baby quilt that children had done quilt blocks for by painting. To this day we still have it and its been almost 20 years. Our son also was sick as a baby and again, we had to stay there - it was around Easter time - the staff came around and passed out homemade hand knitted blankets and 12 inch brand new Boyd Teddy bears for the children that were sick, but also provided gifts to any siblings that were staying in the house.

Its the one charity I still give to to this day - so very worthy and genuine.

Comment

I'm sorry about your daughter. I hope all goes well for her.

What a crummy situation to have to worry about finances on top of your daughter's health. Sounds like you've been given some good advice. I have nothing. Just wanted to wish you well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X