septic failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

septic failure

Mortgage payment is included in our payment to trustee. In the last week we have experienced complete septic/drain failure. County wants us to put in a $20K system. Obviously, we don't have 20K.

Found a place to rent that is the same payment as our mortgage plus property taxes. Figure it would cost maybe $10K to move with first, last, deposit and moving expenses.

Of course, we don't have the 10K either, but at least it doesn't seem as impossible as $20K. Staying in a hotel tonight so we can shower. Driving 12 miles to a restarant evertime someone needs to go to the bathroom isn't efficient. Can't wash dishes, clothes, shower or flush. Had three inches of water in bathroom Saturday morning.

Options??
    Filed Chapter 13 on 3-31-10. 341 completed 5/20/10
    $2900+ a month 0% payback to unsecured creditors
    Discharged 6/30/2015

Call your attorney first thing this morning. You'll need to surrender the house (sounds like what you want to do), discontinue making mortgage payments and find a new place to live. Unfortunately though that is going to take time and planning (and money). Your attorney may be able to expedite things quickly for you based upon the emergency situation. Good luck to you!
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Ugh... so sorry to hear about your septic mess. I'm a "raging newbie" and can't even begin to offer any words of wisdom. So I'll just stick with what I know: words of support. What you've done to get your family to a safe and clean place is very commendable, especially in the face of the anticipated costs. I'm sure we can all empathize with what it means to be ankle-deep in s**t... even without septic problems. Sometimes there are options for emergency funding that get overlooked in times of crisis: employee assistance funds, church outreach, community programs, little bits of coverage in insurance policies, local housing assistance programs. Sometimes local news stations run human interest stories that spur people to help out in creative ways. Sorry, I know that doesn't help with the house itself but maybe it could help with that unplanned $10k cost. Take care, stay safe, and best of luck to you.
      OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Originally posted by frustrated51 View Post
        Mortgage payment is included in our payment to trustee. In the last week we have experienced complete septic/drain failure. County wants us to put in a $20K system. Obviously, we don't have 20K.

Found a place to rent that is the same payment as our mortgage plus property taxes. Figure it would cost maybe $10K to move with first, last, deposit and moving expenses.

Of course, we don't have the 10K either, but at least it doesn't seem as impossible as $20K. Staying in a hotel tonight so we can shower. Driving 12 miles to a restarant evertime someone needs to go to the bathroom isn't efficient. Can't wash dishes, clothes, shower or flush. Had three inches of water in bathroom Saturday morning.

Options??

frustrated...i'm so sorry to hear your problems. we lived in a house that had "regular" septic melt downs...many people do not understand it just doesn't effect your bathroom, it effects running any water whatsoever in your home.

we experienced generally the same situation...(actually ours was defective during the entire 33 years we owned the house). backups...leech field over flows etc.

one time it was so bad and 2 people told us we needed the new septic, but we found someone that knew what they were doing and cleared up the leech fields and it held for the next 5 years.

why is the country involved??? only because once they are called in, and please i'm not trying to frighten you, as i'm certain you already know this, but they can condemn your property. and, usually there is NO turning back...did they come themselves?? your certain the entire system failed or is just not on overload...we once had to have three trucks to remove all the water than seeped into the ground.

best of luck...i just hope there is another way out for you with this one other than being required to put in an entire system...i'm so sorry for you!!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X