Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chapter 13 question

hello everyone
    with a chapter 13 do i need to pay the lawyer in full before they file or is there an amount required to file and then finish paying the lawyer,

No you do not have to pay in full... I paid about a third before filing (about 2000, including the filing fees) and balance is being paid thru the plan .....
    Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

Depends on the lawyer. What does the fee agreement say? Some take a retainer up front and the balance of the fee is paid through the Plan. Others require full payment before filing. Some charge a flat fee. Others bill hourly.

Comment

I paid $1500 of $3600, plus about $400 in filing fees. The $2000 balance is paid from the Plan. Also, attorneys are required to disclose their fees and your payments to the Trustee/Court and if they are deemed to be excessive, the Trustee/Court will adjust it.

Which is ironic: 30% interest is OK, but don't stick me with excessive attonerys feel!

--13for60
        Filed Chapter 13 - 10/05/10
        341 Scheduled - 11/10/10

Comment

we didnt have to pay our lawyer anything up front - it was all rolled into our 13 plan. The only item we had to pay for was for an amendment - it was $26 that we had to pay for in full.

As Des pointed out and as you can see from the responses, it will vary depending on what your attorney requires / requests.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X