top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notice of requirement for financial management course.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice of requirement for financial management course.

Can someone decipher this for me. I received that says "as of this date, a debtor's statement of completion of a course concerning personal financial management as require by 11U.S.C. 721(a) (11) and Bankruptcy rule 1007(b)(7) has NOT been filed.

According to rule 1007(c), time limits for filing are as follows.
    In a chapter 13 case, no later then the date when the last payment was made by the debtor as required by the plan or filing of a motion for hardship discharge under 1328(b)

This is notice that the case will be closed without entry of a discharge unless the statement is filed within the applicable time limit under Rule 1007(c) as explained above.

Ok if I read this right I don't have to anything until we get closer to the end of the plan term, in our case three years? Asusimg we filed in September and it 2013 will be the end of the plan, when should we do the second financial class? I was thinking around June of 2013. Am I right or is this letter more serious that it appears?
    Filed 09/08/10, $26k unsecured. Plan submitted 09/16/10, $250/mo X 36 Months = $9,000.
    First Payment: 09/28/10 341 Hearing: 10/12/10, Confirmation: 10/28/10
    2nd debtor education course taken: 02/05/13. DISCHARGE: 10/10/2013.

hey teddy, for some reasons I never even complete 341 and I got this notice as well about post filing financial management course. I would love to hear from the experience good people in this forum as well. But I was told by my atty, I need to take this course 2-4weeks from 341 meeting..

Comment

You can complete the Financial Management course any time prior to your last Plan payment. I would suggest taking care of it as soon as is possible, and filing it, so that there are no little "gee, I forgot that" hiccups when the finish line is within reach. Plus, can't hurt to learn more about budgeting, managing funds, etc....but a BK13 is the best instructor of money management and budgeting ever invented.

John
      Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

My attorney told me I had 30 days after my 341 to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by angel7821 View Post
          My attorney told me I had 30 days after my 341 to get it done.
          They probably don't want to have to pull each chap 13 client's file near the end of the plan to see if they took the class and then send a reminder if they didn't. If they get every client to do it within 30 days and then file the certificate, they can put the file away for a while and know when they get to the end of each client's plan, that that detail has been taken care of.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I took the prefiling class, filed and then a couple days later took the post-filing class. Done and over with.
            Filed Ch 13 10/7/10
            341 11/5/10
            Confirmation 12/15/10

Comment

My Trustee offered the second class right after all the 341's that day, for free. It was long, 3 or 4 hours, I think. But it was free. Then he sent the completed paperwork to me and I had to sign and file it. Why would you want to delay taking it and then risk forgetting? They are not required to remind you to do so.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies. I was worried I missed something.
                My attorney has cards with the prices for the classes and a couple were really low, so I'll stop by his office and pick one up. I just didn't know it could be done now. I figured it had to wait until the case was almost over. But tigergem is right, if I don't do it soon, I will forget and make the three years moot.
                Filed 09/08/10, $26k unsecured. Plan submitted 09/16/10, $250/mo X 36 Months = $9,000.
                First Payment: 09/28/10 341 Hearing: 10/12/10, Confirmation: 10/28/10
                2nd debtor education course taken: 02/05/13. DISCHARGE: 10/10/2013.

Comment

We just got one of these today (of course a Saturday), and was considering throwing myself in front of a bus. We were under the impression that there were only two classes to take, the first one we did online early on, and assumed this last one could be taken much later. We filed in May of this year. Husband is calling the attorney Monday. So that I can relax this weekend, this doesn't mean we screwed up and missed the class? Our attorney did not tell us to take this class this year, just that we had to take it prior to discharge, which is many years down the road. I understand it is probably best to do it sooner rather than later, which we can do. But I am about to throw up thinking our case could be closed or is closed as of this minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor View Post
                    We just got one of these today (of course a Saturday), and was considering throwing myself in front of a bus. We were under the impression that there were only two classes to take, the first one we did online early on, and assumed this last one could be taken much later. We filed in May of this year. Husband is calling the attorney Monday. So that I can relax this weekend, this doesn't mean we screwed up and missed the class? Our attorney did not tell us to take this class this year, just that we had to take it prior to discharge, which is many years down the road. I understand it is probably best to do it sooner rather than later, which we can do. But I am about to throw up thinking our case could be closed or is closed as of this minute.
                    If you received the same notice as the OP, you have nothing to worry about. They are just informing you of the requirement and what the deadline is to file the certificate of completion. It appears that the Nebraska court sends the notice to all debtors. I pulled up a random Nebraska Chap 13 case on PACER and found the same notice.

Anyone who has been confirmed should just go ahead and take the class now and make sure their attorney files the certificate with the court. There is no point in waiting. You can get a list of approved providers for your state at http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...c_approved.htm
                    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you so much! I was hoping it was something that simple. Now I can enjoy the weekend. I think maybe we'll just get this out of the way sooner. I appreciate the reply.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X