top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a Chapter 13 plan the worst thing ever? ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COngrats nupanda!

But I have to ask again - how on this or any other planet of your choice - do you grocery shop for $60/week for THREE people?????

Where I live a two pounds of apples (four or five) cost like five bucks! Last week I spent $170 for FOUR two adults plus two teens and I was ecstatic! AND I shop the cheapest store (no it ain't Walmart) and I use some coupons and I buy store brand unless there is simply no non-store brand product.

If food like that cheap out in OK???

Beef here is SOOOO expensive it's pretty much off the menu...

Comment

One comment I will make is healthy food is definetly more expensive.

Comment

EVERYTHING is expensive!!!

Comment

Has anybody tried something like a "Shoprite" store? The selection is sometimes not the greatest in the world, but the prices are fantastic. A loaf of white bread 79 cents, 6 pack of bulkie rolls $1.49 (when they are $3.49 everywhere else.) MA is not supposed to be all that cheap of a place to live either, but I find that coupons and shopping in some of the bargain grocery stores, and stores helps.

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
            COngrats nupanda!

But I have to ask again - how on this or any other planet of your choice - do you grocery shop for $60/week for THREE people?????

Where I live a two pounds of apples (four or five) cost like five bucks! Last week I spent $170 for FOUR two adults plus two teens and I was ecstatic! AND I shop the cheapest store (no it ain't Walmart) and I use some coupons and I buy store brand unless there is simply no non-store brand product.

If food like that cheap out in OK???

Beef here is SOOOO expensive it's pretty much off the menu...
            I don't know how to explain it... The most I've spent a week in the past 4 weeks is $65. I use coupons, but I'm not the coupon queen... I might save $3 per week in coupons. I shop at Walmart. Here's what I do: on Sunday, I make a meal plan for the week (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner). I plan my grocery list around that meal plan. I also put things such as cereal, bread, milk (necessities) on my list if I'm running low on them for that week. I can't say I've stuck to my meal plan 100% (there have been a few times when I didn't want to cook and we ordered out instead). Anyway, I estimate the dollar amount for each grocery item on my list and I stop at $60. We wanted steak the other day but I couldn't afford to shell out $21 for three steaks so we bought cheap ones instead. Maybe one week I'll splurge on the good steaks and cut back on something else :-) I would be willing to prove it has worked out just great for me, maybe one of these days I'll start a blog with my weekly grocery list/meal plan!!! hahaha
            4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
            6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
            7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

Fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive than 'junk' food though. Sames goes for bread, you can buy white pretty cheap, but good whole wheat, costs a lot more.

Comment

Iamold--teenagers are much more expensive to feed than small children too, especially if those teens are boys, and even more so if those boys invite friends over regularly, lol.

It also sounds like you're in an area where fresh fruits/veggies are expensive. I can't remember the last time I had to spend more than $1/lb for fresh fruit---though I do only buy what's in season and on sale...
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Originally posted by salsa View Post
                  Fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive than 'junk' food though. Sames goes for bread, you can buy white pretty cheap, but good whole wheat, costs a lot more.
                  I agree, but a loaf of wheat bread at this Shoprite is only 99 cents, summer squash 99 cents a lb, gallon of skim milk $2.99. Then, I have a lot of different grocery stores clustered in my area. Maybe the competition helps... I know its not top of the line, but I pick up a lot of things like cube steaks a couple for a few $$.

I never used to be this way, but lately it's like I've got a pricelist in my head. Sometimes one shopping trip is to 3 different grocery stores.

Comment

Well unfortunately I have diabetes and really need to eat the healthy stuff whether in season or not. Sucks to be me.

Comment

I have a produce store in the area that just sells fruit and vegatables, much cheaper that the regular food stores. Now that the weather is warm, all the local farmers markets are open.
                      Discharged 5/2015

Comment

I no longer just run to the store and not really think about price. I shop at Aldi for staples, grocery chains for name brand stuff I like and sale items. Somebody said it perfectly in another post: sometimes I splurge but now I am careful to cut somewhere else to pay for it. I still struggle with "needs vs. wants" but it gets easier. If I really need a shopping fix, I hit flea markets, Goodwill or yard sales just to get it out of my system.

I too get angry at people who managed to get into a 7 but this has definitely been a learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
                          Iamold--teenagers are much more expensive to feed than small children too, especially if those teens are boys, and even more so if those boys invite friends over regularly, lol.

It also sounds like you're in an area where fresh fruits/veggies are expensive. I can't remember the last time I had to spend more than $1/lb for fresh fruit---though I do only buy what's in season and on sale...
                          Momofthree and guys - it is an expensive area - the funny thing is, until 10/20 years ago much of it was farmland!!! Shoprite owns a supermarket chain here but they're more expensive than Shoprite...we do have a farmers market VERY close to me, but it is EXPENSIVE. Occasionally fruit is cheaper (reminds me this Sunday need to check it out again).

I long for the days of going to Western Beef in NYC - FAR less expensive than anything here!!!!

Re fresh fruit - there's NOTHING around here that's less than $1.89/1.69/ per pound. Walmart has cheaper fruit, but it looks like it spent a month on the boat from China :-)

What sometimes does make sense is a bag of frozen fruit...I Personally really like it.

ALdi - tried it once...I think I may need to do it again, but - only for non-perishable stuff - I bought their hamburgers and they were mostly water, oil, and generally tasted like leftover plastic...

Comment

Originally posted by karm43 View Post
                            I think it also depends on your housedhold if you have dependents they allow you more. If your single or married without dependents it difficult because the budget is way less. Thats why i need a chap 7.
                            If you have dependents, they allow you more because your expenses are higher. I am married without dependents and we live within our budget just fine. I think we have it easier than people with kids because when we stopped using credit cards and had to start budgeting, we only had our own habits and desires to deal with.

We eat nice steaks now and then and buy whole grain bread at around $4 a loaf. It is expensive to eat healthy food. But, I refuse to compromise in that area. I'll cut out other expenses in order to eat well.
                            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X