Attorney left firm - what happens now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney left firm - what happens now?

I sent an email to my BK lawyer last week asking a question about what to do with my tax return (this is my first year in CH 13). He never answered, which is not like him, so I called today to ask. I was told he no longer works there. It threw me for a loop, so I did not ask the receptionist for further details, but now I'm wondering. I am already confirmed and making my payments with no problems. I don't anticipate needing my lawyer anytime soon, but what if something did come up with my BK at some point? Is he still my lawyer or does the firm he used to work for handle my case going forward? TIA!
    Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
    341 meeting - 4/2010
    Confirmed! - 6/2010

Usually, you retain the firm, not the individual lawyer. Check your fee agreement to be sure. If your agreement is with the firm, call them again and ask what attorney will be handling your case. Depending on the agreemeent between the attorney and the firm, you may be getting a letter asking if you want your file to go with the attorney. It's up to you whether to go with the attorney or stay the firm.

If the fee agreement is with the attorney, ask them for his new contact information.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

You most likely retained the "firm" so if you need anything that is who you would contact. But, you have a choice, assuming your specific attorney still wants to, you can jump ship and stay with your specific attorney.

But since you are past confirmation, there really isn't much to do at this point. If you need something, just contact the firm you are with.

Attorneys are people too, they move on.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X