Creditors not getting discharge notices from bankruptcy court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditors not getting discharge notices from bankruptcy court

I finally crawled to the finish line and got discharged from ch 13 (filed 2005) about three weeks ago. Since then, I have been received three discharged notices intended for creditors marked "return to sender." Exxon Mobil was one, a collection firm and Citibank were the three.

The were paid in full but I wonder if I should look for their current addresses and mail these myself? Or does it matter? The last thing I want to do is to have to waste time and money trying to find them. The discharge would be on my credit report but you never know.

In the meantime, I want to tell anyone who feel like they can't make to hang in there. It can be done and you will live to telll about it! Can I say that paying out month after month makes you never want another credit card again?

You don't need to send the notices to anyone. Just hang onto that discharge paper for the rest of your life.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Leather Maid, I just wanted to add CONGRATULATIONS!!! It is one of the hardest things to do to make it through a Chapter 13 plan and be discharged. Enjoy your new freedom :-)
      Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
      I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Give your attorney a call and advise him/her what you received. From your description in your posting, it sounds like what you have received were intended to go to creditors from the BK court. Those creditors' mailing addresses probably changed over time since your filing thus resulting in their return. They are not intended for you but for for those specific creditors. Your discharge paperwork will come directly to you from the Bk court or your attorney.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
          You don't need to send the notices to anyone. Just hang onto that discharge paper for the rest of your life.
          That paperwork was not intended for the OP but is for each of those creditors; without it their file on the OP will be incomplete and could result in issues later if the creditor's file is not closed out as to his credit report, etc. The OP will receive paperwork directly from the Trustee or his attorney for his own records. I can't understand if these notices were sent out by the BK Court, how did they end up going to the OP and not being returned to the BK Court/Trustee as the return address would be on the envelope for the court...

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I may have an answer as to why they were returned to the OP. I've noticed that some things that are sent to creditors from the court or the trustee have my name or my attorneys name for the return address. Could explain it.
            Filed Ch 13 10/7/10
            341 11/5/10
            Confirmation 12/15/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X