Trustee's Way of Paying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee's Way of Paying

I'm always checking our account on 13 data center and it seems our trustee should pay off all the smaller claims first. There are 9 claims under $500.00 and it just seems they would try to get those taken care of and off the records. Do they have a formula they use?

Actually, there is a formula and that is known as pro rata. The Trustee is barred from paying (general) unsecured -- those without priority -- at different rates! The Trustee must pay them pro rata based on what your disposable monthly income (DMI) is (both calculated and actual). So, the Trusteee may not pay off the $50 credit card balance before they pay off the $5000 credit card balance.

In fact, in a plan less than 100%, then $5000 credit card would get more "actual" dollars. For example, say you're in a Plan that will pay back 10%. (Payback percent doesn't matter to the debtor, but I need it for this demonstration.) That 10% is based on a 60 month (5 year) plan and is about $6,000 total over the 60 months. The total allowed unsecured claims is $60,000, so 10% is that $6,000. The $5,000 credit card would get $500 and the $50 credit card would get $5 over the life of the plan. However, the Trustee can't pay the $5 to the $50 unsecured credit card off in month 1! Technically, the $50 credit card would only get $0.08 centers per month for 60 months.

This is why the Trustee usually waits, because the cost to produce a check -- from what I'm told from my Trustee's office -- is about $1.00. The Trustee doesn't want to spend $1 to pay $0.08 to the small creditor. This is why they wait to issue just one or two checks towards the end. The Trustee just lets the balance accumulate for the (non-priority) unsecured creditors.

justbroke's study guide; In this same scenario, the DMI is $100/month. The Trustee gets between $5 and $10/month to administer that amount. Imaging the Trustee spending $15/month issuing checks for $0.08 over 60 months. That's a losing game for the Trustee.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X